Dragons Hold on for 3-2 WinApril 24, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Dayton Dragons
The Kernels entered the ninth inning trailing 3-1 but plated one runner and had a runner at third with only one out when Contreras came out of the Dayton bullpen. He walked the first batter he faced but then struck out Chevy Clarke with the infield drawn in for the second out of the inning. Trevor Hairgrove then grounded to shortstop to end the game.
The Dragons improved to 10-9 on the season and went 4-2 on the six-game home stand.
The Dragons took the lead in the bottom of the fourth inning when Robert Maddox singled to center, went to second on Steve Selsky's ground out, and scored on a single to left-center by Kyle Waldrop that ticked off the top of the glove of the leaping Cedar Rapids shortstop.
Cedar Rapids tied the game in the top of the fifth at 1-1, but the Dragons answered with one run in the bottom of the inning. Theo Bowe walked, stole second, went to third on Juan Perez's fly out to right, and scored on a single to right by Ryan Wright to make it 2-1.
Wright tripled with one out in the bottom of the eighth and scored on Danny Vicioso's sacrifice fly to give the Dragons an insurance run that they would need in the ninth.
Dragons starting pitcher Tanner Robles worked the first six innings, allowing just two hits and one run with one walks and four strikeouts. He earned the win and improved to 2-0.
The Dragons collected seven hits. Along with Wright's three-hit night, Kyle Waldrop was 2 for 3 to continue his hot hitting.
The Dragons begin a six-game road trip on Wednesday in Appleton, Wisconsin against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at 7:35 EDT. Stalin Gerson (1-1, 3.78) will start for Dayton against Wisconsin's Andy Moye (1-0, 0.82). The Dragons play at Appleton against Thursday, then meet the Timber Rattlers on Friday at Miller Park in Milwaukee. The next home game is Wednesday, May 2 against the Lake County Captains.
Midwest League Stories from April 24, 2012
- Kernels rally but fall to Dayton, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hawks Sweep Away Rattlers with 10-4 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hawks complete sweep of Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Hold on for 3-2 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Score 5 in 9th, But Lose 11-9 to Loons - Burlington Bees
- Walsh Homers Again, But River Bandits Fall in Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Road Trip Ends with 7-3 Win at Clinton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hoilman Beats Lansing With Walk-Off Slam - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Hang on for Series Win - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Comeback Falls Short as They Lose 6-5 - Lake County Captains
- Hoilman, Chiefs slam Lugnuts in 9th, 6-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Red Hot Vettleson Delivers Hot Rods Another Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for April 24 - Dayton Dragons
- Upcoming Home Stand April 25-30 - Beloit Snappers
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for April 25-30 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Begin Six-Game Home Stand Wednesday Featuring Western Division Opponents - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Add Concepcion, Cabezas in Roster Moves - Peoria Chiefs
- No Nuts, Please; Peanut-Free Games Set for May 9 and 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.