Aeros Knock off PhilliesApril 21, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
Akron (9-5) got off to a quick start against Reading starter Jonathan Pettibone (1-2). The first three batters reached to load the bases with no outs. Chun Chen followed with a single to right to drive in the game's first run. It was Chen's first RBI of the year. Nick Weglarz followed with a bases-loaded walk to make it 2-0, and Ben Copeland later hustled to beat out a potential double-play ball, forcing in another run to make it 3-0.
Only right fielder Leandro Castro's slick, diving catch of a shallow fly ball off the bat of Kyle Bellows prevented the Aeros from blowing the game open further in the opening inning.
The lead grew to 4-0, in the second when Tim Fedroff laced his second triple of the series and came home on a single by Juan Diaz.
Lefty Giovanni Soto (2-0) held the R-Phils to one run over the first five innings, and held a 5-1 advantage heading to the sixth. A lead-off error by Bellows on a grounder preceded a pair of doubles by Tyson Gillies and Darin Ruf, leading to a three-run rally to make it 5-4. Soto was lifted in favor of reliever Matt Langwell, who worked out of the jam with no further damage.
In the top of the seventh with storm clouds gathering, Weglarz and Adam Abraham connected for back-to-back homers off righthander Chris Kissock to push the lead back to 7-4. It was the first homer of the season for each player. Weglarz now has four RBI's in the series, and six on the season.
The game was halted at 8:12 PM and called approximately 40 minutes later.
Soto did not walk a batter and matched his season-high of six strikeouts. At one point, the 20-year old lefty retired eight consecutive Phillies hitters.
Reading (11-5) entered the game with the best record in the Eastern League.
Akron's Jared Goedert was 2-2, with two walks to extend his hitting streak to 11 games. Goedert is now hitting .417 on the season, which places him atop the league hitting leaderboard.
The Aeros and Phillies will play the rubber game of the series on Sunday afternoon at 1:35. Lefty Eric Berger (0-2, 8.00) will start for the Aeros against righthander Tyler Cloyd (2-0, 3.75) of Reading. All Aeros games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. The next homestand at Canal Park begins on Friday, April 27th. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from April 21, 2012
- Aeros Add C Michel Hernandez - Akron Aeros
- Baysox Late Rally Falls Short - Bowie Baysox
- 'Wolves Beat Baysox 4-3; Cron Notches 1,000th Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Goins Doubles in Fisher Cats 4-1 Loss to New Britain - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Keep Rollin' With 4-1 Win - New Britain Rock Cats
- Aeros Knock off Phillies - Akron Aeros
- Rahl Leads Harrisburg Past Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Rahl Leads Senators to 4-1 Win over Trenton - Harrisburg Senators
- Rain Forces Saturday Postponement for Curve, Squirrels - Altoona Curve
- INF Buck Britton Placed on DL - Bowie Baysox
- Squirrels and Curve Postponed Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Winning Streak Reaches Three After 6-1 Win - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Continue Slide with 6-1 Loss - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Andy Pettitte to Pitch in Trenton Wednesday - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.