Aeros Hold off Rivermen 2-1January 13, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Peoria Rivermen
With the loss the Rivermen have a record of 19-17-2-1 and sit in a third-place tie in the Midwest division.
Hensick opened up the scoring at 7:23 of the first period on Peoria's first power-play attempt of the night. Derek Nesbitt made a backhanded pass through the crease to an open Hensick who one timed the puck over the blocker of Darcy Kuemper for his 14th goal of the season.
Justin Fontaine scored a power-play goal at the 13:11 mark to tie the game. With the puck near the goal line, Fontaine threw a pass across the crease that deflected in off the skate of a Rivermen defender. Jon DiSalvatore and Jeff Penner earned assists on the play.
The Aeros took the lead for good with just over a minute to play in the period. Matt Kassian took a shot from the left faceoff circle that Allen initially stopped. The rebound was pushed across the crease from Mike Radja to Joel Broda who tapped in his eighth of the year.
Peoria had chances to tie the game but Kuemper made saves on two different breakaways and the Rivermen failed to convert on a 54 second five-on-three in the middle of the third. The Rivermen finished the game 1-for-4 on the advantage while their penalty kill stopped six of seven. The Rivermen had 23 shots on goal while they allowed 36.
The Rivermen play host Houston at 7 p.m. on Saturday to wrap up a five-game homestand. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a Rivermen winter hat. Tickets are available at the Civic Center box office, online at www.rivermen.net or by calling 309-676-1040.
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Admirals Fall to Wolves, Drop Third Straight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Win Fifth Straight with 2-1 Victory Over Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Aeros Hold off Rivermen 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Fall Flat in 5-2 Loss to Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Smith, IceHogs Knock off Barons in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Drop Overtime Decision to Marlies, 2-1 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Unlucky on Friday the 13th - Manchester Monarchs
- 13 Is Lucky Number for Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Aeros hold on for a 2-1 win - Houston Aeros
- Stars' Surge Too Much for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Cruise Past Whale - Norfolk Admirals
- Sateri Does the Monster Mash on Friday the 13th with 1-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Edge Bulldogs 5-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Aquire Ondrej Roman from Dallas in Exchange for Angelo - San Antonio Rampage
- Streaking Stars Stay Hot, Beat Griffins 6-4 in a Wild One - Texas Stars
- Crunch Roll to a 5-2 Win in Binghamton - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Shoot Past Monarchs 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dallas Trades Ondrej Roman for Angelo Esposito - Texas Stars
- Great Skate Winterfest Returns January 21-22 with Snowboarding "Rail Jam" and Dog Sled Rides - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Maintain Pricing on Season Ticket Packages for Third Consecutive Year - Binghamton Senators
- Outdoor Classic Fan Shuttles Launched - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale's Game Saturday to be Aired on Beethoven - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks to Host Online Jersey Auction to Benefit the 15-40 Connection - Worcester Sharks
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Blackhawks Assign Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Sign Landry to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Give Blood; Watch Hockey - Peoria Rivermen
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Webster Bank Arena Hero Honored - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Host Pirates Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Button Assigned to Reading - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Time Warner Cable Buy One Get One Games - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Reassign Max Gratchev to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, January 13: Aeros at Peoria - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ride Seven-Game Point Streak into Tonight's Tussle with Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Losing Streak Continues with 4-0 Loss in Peoria - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen End First Half with Bishop's Sixth Shutout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.