Mavericks Sign Defenseman, Trade Goalie and DefensemanDecember 27, 2011 - Central Hockey League (CHL) Missouri Mavericks
"This is a move that allows us to add stability and leadership to our hockey club," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "We have been working very hard to improve the performance of our blue line, and David Simoes is a veteran of the CHL that our fans will appreciate. He plays a hard-nosed brand of hockey. We are excited to make this change and wish Zach and Brian great success with their new clubs. They both made significant contributions to our club in their short time with us."
Simoes, 26 (3/9/85), returns to the CHL after starting this season with the Louisiana IceGators of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL). In 17 games with the IceGators, the Vanderhoof, British Columbia native accounted for 10 points (2-810) and 38 penalty minutes. Prior to playing in Louisiana, the 5-foot-10, 205-pound defenseman played the previous four seasons in the CHL with five different teams. Simoes has played in a total of 219 CHL contests with 47 points (10-3747) and he has added 672 penalty minutes. He played five seasons of junior hockey in the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) before turning pro.
The Mavericks continued to shuffle the roster by trading two players to two separate teams. Defenseman Zach Carriveau was traded to the Arizona Sundogs in exchange for future considerations and goaltender Brian Mahoney-Wilson was traded to the Bloomington Blaze also in exchange for future considerations.
Mavericks' forward Carlyle Lewis has been activated from the 10-day injured reserve and is expected to play tonight when the Mavericks travel to Wichita to take on the Wichita Thunder.
"As our players start to get healthy we are required to trim our roster back down to 19 players," added Hillman. "We still have four players on the IR and have several tough decisions ahead of us."
The Mavericks are on the road for three games starting tonight against the Wichita Thunder at INTRUST Bank Arena. Missouri will then travel to Fort Wayne and Bloomington on Thursday, December 29 and Friday, December 30. The Mavericks will return home on New Year's Eve, December 31 against the Texas Brahmas. Tickets for all regular season games are on sale via Ticketmaster. Call (816) 252-7825 for more information or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
Central Hockey League Stories from December 27, 2011
- Russo, Thunder Cruise Past Mavericks 5-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Clarke's Hat-Trick Lifts Oilers Past Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Three Powerplay Goals Bury Rush in 3-2 Loss to Flock - Rapid City Rush
- Marino, Mallards Edge Rapid City 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Shut out by Wichita, 5-0 - Missouri Mavericks
- Gems Fall With Seconds Left In Overtime 6-5 To Evansville Tuesday Night - Dayton Gems
- Early Komets Barrage Enough to Defeat Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Blaze's Kalemba Named CHL Oakley Goalie of the Week - Bloomington Blaze
- Bloomington's Zane Kalemba Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Sundogs Acquire Carriveau from Missouri - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman, Trade Goalie and Defenseman - Missouri Mavericks
- Game Tonight at 7:05pm - Oilers Vs Allen Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Broadcaster Tommy Daniels Named CHL All Star Broadcaster - Allen Americans
- Broadcast Teams for 2012 CHL All-Star Game Announced - CHL
- Dayton Gems Gameday - Gems Travel to Evansville to Battle IceMen Tonight - Dayton Gems
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.