Suns Defeat Generals 4-3September 2, 2011 - Southern League (SL) Jacksonville Suns
Jacksonville starter Bryan Evans (3-1) earned the victory in his final start of the season. Evans threw six innings on the mound, allowing only a pair of runs on three hits with two walks and three strikeouts. Taking the loss for the Generals was starter Kenn Kasparek (5-5) and Suns closer Jhan Marinez earned his second save in as many games with a scoreless ninth.
Chris Gutierrez gave the Suns a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second with an RBI double. The Generals tied the game with a solo homer from Vinnie Catricala in the top of the fourth. Jacksonville quickly broke the tie in the bottom of the inning, as Ryan Curry blasted a two-run homer over the left field wall to put the Suns ahead 3-1. The homer was Curry's seventh of the season, and his first since early July.
Jacksonville added to the lead in the bottom of the fifth when Ben Lasater collected an RBI single to put Jacksonville's lead at 4-1. Jackson first cut into the lead in the top of the sixth, when Catricala recorded a sacrifice fly to trim Jacksonville's lead to 4-2. The Generals got within one run in the top of the seventh facing reliever Dallas Trahern when a Brandon Bantz groundout brought home Nick Franklin to put the score at 4-3. That's as close as the Generals would get, thanks to a scoreless eighth by Trahern and Marinez threw a scoreless ninth to preserve the victory.
The Suns and Generals will play the third game of the five game series on Saturday night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. Left-handed pitcher Jose Alvarez (2-5, 5.16 ERA) will pitch for Jacksonville against left-hander James Gilheeney (0-3, 6.68) of Jackson.
Saturday's game will be "Hispanic Heritage Night," at the Baseball Grounds, as the Suns celebrate the contributions and accomplishments of Hispanic First Coast citizens, as well as those who have changed baseball. The Suns will wear special "Soles" jerseys that will be auctioned off during and after the game to benefit charity.
Saturday's game will start at 7:05 p.m. ET, and fans can listen to the contest beginning at 6:50 p.m. with the U.F. & Shands Pregame Show on www.jaxsuns.com.
Southern League Stories from September 2, 2011
- Smokies Hold on for 3-2 Win in Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Mississippi beats Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Smokies Ignite Barons, 3-2 - Birmingham Barons
- Lucas Blasts Braves to Fourth Straight Win - Mississippi Braves
- Stars' Bats Silent in 2-0 Loss to Mobile - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Blank Stars to Even Series - Mobile BayBears
- Offense Stays Silent in 4th-Straight Defeat - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lookouts Cruise to 8-2 Victory over Biscuits - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Catricala Homers But Generals Fall to Suns Again - Jackson Generals
- Suns Defeat Generals 4-3 - Jacksonville Suns
- Dan Nelson and Billy Bullock to Gwinnett Andrew Wilson and Marcus Lemon to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Turner Ward Wins Manager of the Year Award - Mobile BayBears
- Chen Rejoins Smokies Roster Friday - Tennessee Smokies
- Hand Recalled to the Major Leagues - Jacksonville Suns
- RHP James to Nashville - Huntsville Stars
- Attalla Named Southern League Groundskeeper of the Year - Jacksonville Suns
- Mobile's Turner Ward Named Southern League Manager Of The Year - SL
- Jackson Generals Notes Friday - Jackson Generals
- Southern League Announces End of Year Awards - SL
- Smokies to Begin Playoffs Thursday, September 8 at Smokies Park - Tennessee Smokies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.