Squirrels Chase Out the Dogs 7-5August 6, 2011 - Eastern League (EL) Portland Sea Dogs
Ryan Khoury led the way for Portland, finishing 2-for-4 with four of the five runs batted in for the Sea Dogs. He cut Richmond's 4-0 lead in half with a two-out, two-run single off Clayton Tanner (5-8) in the third inning. Khoury also had a run-scoring groundout with the bases loaded and one out in the fifth inning. Oscar Tejeda recorded a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 on the night.
The Sea Dogs inched their way back into the game. Portland trailed by four runs on two separate occasions. Khoury cut a 6-2 deficit back to a two-run gap with RBIs in the fifth and seventh innings. Will Middlebrooks made it a one-run game with a run-scoring groundout in the eighth, following a triple by Mark Wagner. That's as close as the Sea Dogs would get. Skyler Stromsmoe tacked on an insurance run for Richmond in the eighth, scoring Juan Perez who worked a leadoff walk.
Just as in last night's loss, one inning served as the majority of the damage for Portland. Lee, pitching on just three days rest, gave up hits to the first four batters he faced. Francisco Peguero and Charlie Culberson both singled. That set the stage for Kieschnick's triple and Dominguez's home run. Lee settled down to retire the next three in order.
The Sea Dogs and Flying Squirrels wrap up the season series tomorrow evening. Portland has a scheduled off day Monday. The team returns to Hadlock Field for the start of a six-game homestand against the Akron Aeros and Erie SeaWolves on Tuesday. The ZOOperstars will be in town for their second and final visit to Portland this year on August 9th. For tickets, log on to www.seadogs.com or call 207-879-9500.
Eastern League Stories from August 6, 2011
- Senators Snap Erie's Win Streak - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Can'T Handle Reading Offense in 9-3 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Baysox Storm Past Fisher Cats - Bowie Baysox
- Pino Strikes Out Seven But Four-Game Win Streak Ends - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Aeros Drop Game Two To Rock Cats, 4-3 - Akron Aeros
- Late-Inning Runs Lift Thunder Past Curve on Saturday - Altoona Curve
- Ninth-Inning Single Breaks Slide - Trenton Thunder
- Tanner Rises from Canvas to KO Sea Dogs, 7-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Squirrels Chase Out the Dogs 7-5 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes - Harrisburg Senators
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Portland Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.