Texas Stars Name Jeff Truitt Assistant CoachJuly 18, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Texas Stars
Truitt brings a wealth of hockey experience to Texas, joining newly appointed Head Coach Jeff Pyle behind the Stars bench. He comes to the Stars after spending the 2010-11 season as an assistant coach with San Antonio, helping the Rampage post its best record in four seasons (40-33-4-5, 87 points). In 2009-10, he served as the Director of Hockey Operations for the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League (WHL). The Warriors finished with a 33-27-0-12 mark and made an appearance in the 2010 WHL Playoffs. Prior to his time in Moose Jaw, Truitt spent two season coaching in the AHL with the Springfield Falcons. Truitt was the Falcons' assistant coach in 2007-08 and then took over as the head coach in 2008-09. Truitt's team posted a 16-27-0-7 mark in 50 games.
"We are pleased to add Jeff Truitt to our coaching staff here in Texas," said General Manager Scott White. "He has experience at the AHL level and has proven that he can work with young players. We expect him to play a key role in developing future Dallas Stars."
From 1993-2007, Truitt enjoyed coaching success in the WHL with the Lethbridge Hurricanes and the Kelowna Rockets. He served as an assistant coach in Lethbridge from 1993-96, then moved on to Kelowna in the same capacity from 2000-04. The native of Rosetown, SK earned a promotion to Head Coach in Kelowna in 2004. He guided the Rockets to a WHL Championship and an appearance in the Memorial Cup in the spring of 2005. In three seasons with Truitt as the head coach, the Rockets posted a 113-76-18-9 mark with two postseason appearances. In his seven seasons with Kelowna, the Rockets won two WHL championships (2003, 2005), two WHL regular season titles (2003, 2004), made three consecutive trips to the Memorial Cup tournament (2003, 2004, 2005) and one Memorial Cup championship (2004). Truitt was also instrumental in helping Team Canada's National Junior Team win a silver medal in 2004, as well as taking gold by winning the under-18 world juniors in 2004.
Truitt and his wife Shauna have two children; son Cale and daughter Kerrington.
The Texas Stars will host Opening Night at Cedar Park Center on Sunday, October 9th. The complete 2011-12 American Hockey League season will be announced later this summer.
2011-12 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com . Anyone interested in purchasing season tickets, suites, group tickets or mini-plans may call the Texas Stars front office.
American Hockey League Stories from July 18, 2011
- Texas to Host Meet and Greet with Head Coach Jeff Pyle this Wednesday - Texas Stars
- IceHogs Fans to be Featured in Season Ticket Booklet - Rockford IceHogs
- Sheldon Steps away from Abbotsford Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Tom Mauthe Resigns as Heat President - Abbotsford Heat
- Devils Announce First Preseason Game - Albany Devils
- Texas Stars Name Jeff Truitt Assistant Coach - Texas Stars
- Monsters to Start Fifth Anniversary Season at Home on October 7th - Lake Erie Monsters
- B-Sens 2011 Open House Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Announce 2011-12 Schedule Format - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blues Sign Ryan Reaves to One-Year Contract - Peoria Rivermen
- Checkers Add Netminder Muse - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Ink Three Players to AHL Deals - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale Announce Preseason Schedule - Connecticut Whale
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.