Whale Sign Forwards Andrew Yogan and Shayne Wiebe to ATOsApril 7, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Connecticut Whale
Yogan, a fourth-round pick (100th overall) by the parent New York Rangers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft comes to the Whale from the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). The 6-3, 203-pound native of Coral Springs, FL was limited by injury this year to 10 games-played, in which he had three goals and one assist for four points, along with six penalty minutes. All three of Yogan's goals came in one game, a hat trick performance vs. Kitchener March 12, in a 5-4 shootout win for the Otters. In three postseason games with Erie, the 19-year-old Yogan had two assists and four penalty minutes.
Last season with the Otters, Yogan totaled 25 goals and 30 assists for 55 points, plus a team-leading 97 PIM, in 63 games. Those numbers were good for fourth on the Erie club in assists and fifth in points and goals. In 174 career OHL games over four seasons with the Otters and the Windsor Spitfires, Yogan has registered 55 goals and 53 assists for 108 points, along with 191 PIM.
Wiebe, 21, just finished a season with the Western Hockey League's Brandon Wheat Kings that saw him score a team-high 44 goals, and add 21 assists for 65 points, in 72 games. Wiebe's 65 points ranked third on the Wheat Kings' squad, and he also had 60 PIM. A 6-0, 190-pound Brandon native, Wiebe tied for the Wheat King team lead in postseason goals with four, and tied for third on the club in playoff points with eight, in six playoff contests.
Wiebe went all the way to the championship game of the 2010 Memorial Cup with the Wheat Kings, who lost that final game to the Ontario Hockey League's Windsor Spitfires. Wiebe totaled 23 goals and 27 assists for 50 points in 65 games in 2009-10, between Brandon and the Kamloops Blazers. In 15 WHL playoff games with the Wheat Kings, he notched two goals and nine assists for 11 points. Wiebe's WHL career totals with Kamloops and Brandon over five seasons include: 276 games-played, 108 goals, 89 assists, 197 points and 287 PIM.
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2011
- Newcomers Help Crunch Defeat Norfolk, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Power Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Whale Sign Forwards Andrew Yogan and Shayne Wiebe to ATOs - Connecticut Whale
- Bruins Sign Forward Carter Camper - Providence Bruins
- Monarchs Sign Toffoli to Tryout - Manchester Monarchs
- Wild Recalls McMillan, Ortmeyer from Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Nemisz and Bouma Return to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Phantoms Make Roster Moves - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland's Luke Adam Named American Hockey League's Outstanding Rookie - AHL
- Marlies Announce Roster Moves - Toronto Marlies
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Goaltender David Leneveu to Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Canucks Re-Assign Yann Sauve & Chris Tanev to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- B-Sens Host "Jersey off Our Back" Promotion this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Whale Mourn the Passing of EJ McGuire - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Monday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Kubalik to Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Fan Appreciation Night This Sunday - San Antonio Rampage
- Senators Recall Five Players from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Sign Hedden, Luciani to Tryouts for Final Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Free Checkers Jersey - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.