Denis Headed to Ferris State Next SeasonNovember 15, 2010 - United States Hockey League (USHL) - Tri-City Storm Press Release
Denis, who is from Burnaby, British Columbia, has five assists in ten games this season with the Storm. Last season, Denis played for the Burnaby Express in the BCHL and had six goals, 23 assists and 31 penalty minutes in 60 games.
"I really enjoyed my trip out to Ferris. It felt like the right fit for me, and a place that I was wanted for next season," said Denis, who is in his only season with the Storm. "They are a program that is on the rise, and a place that I will have the opportunity to compete for a championship."
Ferris State is a NCAA Division I college hockey program located in Big Rapids, Mich. and competes in the CCHA hockey conference with the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Bowling Green State Univ.
"We couldn't be happier to see Simon commit to Ferris State," said Head Coach/General Manager Drew Schoneck. "Ferris is getting a great person and player in Simon, and he deserves this opportunity."
The 19-year old, who is 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, says that he hopes to continue to develop his overall game and wants to win a junior hockey championship to know how it feels before heading to Ferris State next season.
"I want to get better on both sides of the ice and help the Storm win a championship. Being here in Kearney, I want to have an experience that I've never had before in junior hockey this season."
With Denis' commitment, Tri-City currently has 11 players who are committed to NCAA Division I schools. Bill Eiserman (UMASS-Lowell), Chris Eiserman (UMASS-Lowell), Chris Joyaux (Ohio State Univ.), Dan Kolomatis (Merrimack College), Cody Murphy (Miami University-Ohio), Dominic Panetta (Ferris State Univ.), Rick Pinkston (Dartmouth College), Zack Rall (Univ. of Alaska-Anchorage), Shane Walsh (Univ. of Massachusetts), and Brian Ward (Dartmouth College).
The Storm play Tuesday night against the Lincoln Stars at the Viaero Event Center. Tri-City is on the road this weekend at Waterloo (Friday) and Sioux Falls (Saturday).
United States Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2010
- Scott Mayfield Named Junior 'A' Challenge MVP, USA Claims Gold Medal - Youngstown Phantoms
- "Behind the Glass" with the Youngstown Phantoms on ESPN 1240 - Youngstown Phantoms
- USHL Names Berry CCM Offensive Player of the Week - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Phantoms Pages: Week 7 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Denis Headed to Ferris State Next Season - Tri-City Storm
- Berry, Doerring, and Hjelle Earn Weekly USHL Awards - USHL
- Waterloo Black Hawks Name Players of the Week - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Lancers Continue 6-Game Road Trip With Trio Of Games Out East - Omaha Lancers
- Ice Home for Two this Week - Indiana Ice
- Stampede Close out Homestand this Weekend - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Bringing Home the Gold - Green Bay Gamblers
- Vienneau, Parker, Noel-Bernier to Make Radio Show Debut Tonight - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.