RHP Zach Putnam Moves up to ColumbusJuly 18, 2010 - Eastern League (EL) - Akron RubberDucks
Putnam earned his third save for Akron in Saturday night's 6-5 victory over the Erie SeaWolves and has spent the entire 2010 season in Double-A. The recently turned 23-year-old right-hander was 4-1 with a 3.86 ERA in his 20 contests (seven starts) and had allowed just nine walks against 41 strikeouts in 51.1 innings pitched. The Ann Arbor, MI native also missed 21 games when he was on the disabled list from May 30th to June 23rd this year with tightness in his right rhomboid. Last season, he became the first 2008 draftee to play for the Aeros when he earned the promotion from Class A Kinston on May 8th, 2009. He will soon make his debut for the Clippers and the Cleveland Indians selected Putnam in the fifth round of the June 2008 Draft out of the University of Michigan.
Bryson earns the promotion from the K-Tribe today after making his 13th relief appearance of the year in Friday night's loss to Potomac. He was 2-1 with one save and a 2.25 ERA in the Carolina League this season, striking out an impressive 38 batters in only 20 innings pitched against eight walks while also sitting on the disabled list from June 28th to July 12th with a right shoulder strain. The 22-year-old held opponents to a .108 batting average after previously earning the promotion from Class A Lake County on May 11th. He had a 4.05 ERA in 13.1 innings for the Captains and only appeared in three games during the entire 2009 season following October 2008 arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder. The Indians acquired Bryson along with Matt LaPorta, Zach Jackson and Michael Brantley from the Milwaukee Brewers in June 2008 in exchange for C.C. Sabathia and Bryson was originally selected in the 31st round of the June 2006 Draft.
The Aeros roster remains at the full 24 men + 1 on the disabled list + 1 player on an MLB rehab assignment. No word yet on what number Bryson will wear for Akron in his upcoming debut. He will not pitch today as the Aeros concludes their four-game series against the Erie SeaWolves at 1:35 p.m. at Canal Park.
Eastern League Stories from July 18, 2010
- Westcott's Gem Earns Squirrels Split with Bowie, 4-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Shin-Soo Choo Joins Akron Monday on Rehab - Akron RubberDucks
- Aeros Complete Sweep, Rout SeaWolves 11-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Thames' Slam Sinks B-Mets, 6-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Harrisburg Uses Late Inning Surges to Sink Curve, 13-4 - Altoona Curve
- Eight-run Eighth Gives Sens Blowout Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Fife Outduels Gibson - New Britain Rock Cats
- SeaWolves Swept by Aeros - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Split in New Britain - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Streak Snapped at Four - Trenton Thunder
- Richmond Flyilng Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron Aeros...Game Four of Four...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Thames' Grand Slam Lifts Fisher Cats into First Place - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- RHP Zach Putnam Moves up to Columbus - Akron RubberDucks
- Squirrels Lively as Baysox Fall - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Win Wildest Game in Franchise History, 18-15 - Altoona Curve
- Altoona Wins High-Scoring Marathon - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.