Carlos Ruiz to Rehab with BlueClaws Tonight and FridayJuly 8, 2010 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lakewood BlueClaws
Ruiz, 31, has been out since June 18th with a concussion. He was hitting .275 with two home runs and 13 RBIs with the Phillies before his injury. He rehabbed on Wednesday night with Lehigh Valley, going 0-2 with a walk.
The starting catcher on the 2008 World Series Champion and 2009 National League Champion Phillies, Ruiz was a member of the first ever BlueClaws team, in 2001, managed by current Lakewood hitting coach Greg Legg.
Ruiz also caught the first of three no-hitters in BlueClaws history, a seven-inning no-hitter thrown by Keith Bucktrot on April 12th, 2001.
He becomes the second Phillies player to rehab with Lakewood this year, joining Joe Blanton, who threw two shutout innings on April 20th.
Ruiz also becomes the 14th Phillie to rehab with the BlueClaws since the team's 2001 inception. Last year, Lakewood hosted pitchers JC Romero and Brett Myers in the regular season and pitcher Clay Condrey and infielder Greg Dobbs during the South Atlantic League Championship Series.
The BlueClaws are 14-8 all-time when Phillies players rehab in Lakewood.
On Thursday, the first 2,000 fans will receive an egg-shaped kitchen timer courtesy of Clayton Block. It's also a Thirsty Thursday, with $1 beer, $1 soda and 50-cent wings in the Coors Light WRAT Trap.
Friday, the BlueClaws will host former Giants linebacker Pepper Johnson for an autograph signing from 6:00 - 6:45 pm. Then after the game, there will be post-game fireworks courtesy of Toyota/Scion World of Lakewood.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 8, 2010
- King for a Day: Souza's 10th Inning Homer Lifts Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Edge Legends 10-9 in Tenth - West Virginia Power
- Big Night for Martinez, but WV Rallies to Beat Legends in 10 - Lexington Legends
- Greensboro Hops Past Hickory - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Go Down 6-5 to Suns in 10 Innings - Greenville Drive
- Eight-Run Sixth Propels Braves Win - Rome Braves
- Claws Offense Sputters, Beal Leads Birds to 5-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Bucardo Struggles in Key Spots; Legends Earn Split - Augusta GreenJackets
- Eight-Run Sixth Paces Rome to Ninth Straight Home Triumph over Charleston, 10-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Intimidators Stung by GreenJackets, 5-4 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Beal Leads Shorebirds to 5-1 Series-Opening Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Gnats Game Notes - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Carlos Ruiz to Rehab with BlueClaws Tonight and Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Kannapolis Comes to Augusta for First Time - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.