Liz stifles Redbirds in rain-delayed contestMay 15, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Portland Beavers
Mike Baxter and Anthony Contreras added solo homers for the Beavers (15-20) in a game in that saw four Portland starters finish with multiple hits.
Liz (3-1) was perfect through the first three innings before surrendering a single to James Rapoport. He allowed one run on four hits, striking out two and walking one.
Memphis starter Brandon Dickson (2-3) received the loss for the Redbirds (16-18), going five innings and allowing four runs and seven hits.
Mark Shorey went 2-for-4 in the game with a solo home run for Memphis.
Cooper got things started in the first for the Beavers, hitting a one-out pitch over the left field wall for his third home run of the season, bringing home Luis Durango and Chris Denorfia.
Portland scored again two innings later when Baxter crossed the plate on a Dickson wild pitch.
Shorey's solo home run came in the fifth for Memphis, putting the Redbirds on the board.
The Beavers got the run back in the sixth when Chris Stewart hit a line-drive single to center, scoring Craig Stansberry from second.
Baxter and Contreras extended Portland's lead in the seventh and eighth innings with their solo home runs.
The Beavers travel to Nashville on Saturday to start the second leg of their eight-game road trip. The first pitch against the Sounds at Herschel Greer Stadium is set for 4:35 p.m. (Pacific).
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2010
- Express Bash Sky Sox 16-4 - Round Rock Express
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Round Rock, 16-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Fifteen hits leads Sounds to 9-3 victory - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Take Down Beavers In Series Opener, 9-3 - Nashville Sounds
- MacLane pitches 'Birds by Rainiers - Memphis Redbirds
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express Game Notes for May 15 - Round Rock Express
- Colmenares Reassigned to Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Lose To Royals, 10-7 In Extras - Reno Aces
- Liz stifles Redbirds in rain-delayed contest - Portland Beavers
- Portland pounds Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.