Bogusevic Powers Express Past Memphis 6-3May 9, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express
Bogusevic's four-hit game was his second of the season. The biggest hit was his fifth-inning, two-run homer that snapped a 2-2 tie and proved to be the difference maker. It was Bogusevic's fourth round-tripper of the season, tying Chris Shelton for the team lead. Bogusevic is hitting .459 (17-for-37) over nine games in May with three home runs and 11 RBI.
Express starter Josh Banks (3-3) earned the win, his second in as many starts. He allowed three runs, only one of which was earned, on seven hits and a walk with four strikeouts over 6.2 innings. Yorman Bazardo used one pitch upon entering the game in the seventh to spare Banks and strand runners on the corners. Bazardo then worked around Mark Hamilton's leadoff double in the eighth. Casey Daigle had two strikeouts in a one-hit ninth to record his third save.
Memphis starter Brandon Dickson (2-2) allowed four runs on five hits and three walks with five strikeouts over 6.0 innings and was saddled with the loss. He also hit two batters. Rich Hill surrendered two runs on four hits and a walk with two strikeouts over 2.0 innings of relief.
Round Rock opened the scoring with a pair of runs on two hits in the second. Matt Kata walked to open the frame, and Jason Castro followed with a hit-and-run RBI double down the right-field line. Later in the inning, Castro scored from third on a Banks groundout.
That lead stood until the top of the fifth when Memphis took advantage of a Round Rock error to score a pair of runs and tie the game. Mark Shorey led off with a double and moved to second one batter later when Donovan Solano reached thanks to Oswaldo Navarro's error. It was only the second error by an Express shortstop this season. Shorey scored on a James Rapoport groundout, and Ruben Gotay followed with an RBI single that plated Solano.
But the Express were quick to answer in the bottom of the inning. Navarro was hit by a pitch with a 2-2 count, and Bogusevic followed with the home run that landed in the Round Rock bullpen in left-center. Gotay's two-out RBI single in the seventh pulled the Redbirds back to within a run, but Shelton opened the Express lead to 6-3 with a two-run double in the bottom of the inning.
Navarro was 2-for-4 with two runs scored, while Shelton had two RBI. Drew Locke singled and walked twice in four plate appearances; he has hit safely in five consecutive games.
Gotay, Hamilton and Shorey all had two-hit games for Memphis, while Solano scored twice.
Round Rock and Memphis conclude their four-game series Monday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at The Dell Diamond. It will be dueling southpaws as Polin Trinidad (1-3, 4.08 ERA) gets the nod for the Express, while Evan MacLane is slated to start for the Redbirds.
NOTES: Express infielder Edwin Maysonet was placed on the 15-day DL Sunday. Maysonet left Saturday night's game with a strained right hamstring. The move makes room for infielder Chris Johnson, who was optioned to Round Rock by the Astros. Johnson was in uniform Sunday but not active; he will be active for Monday's game.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 9, 2010
- 'Topes Survive Sounds, 15-12 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pink Day at the Park - Tacoma Rainiers
- Torra, Aces Shut Down Beavers, 8-1 - Portland Beavers
- Torra Masterful in 8-1 Aces Victory over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Out by Las Vegas, 4-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Lose Wild Game to 'Topes, 15-12 - Nashville Sounds
- Bogusevic Powers Express Past Memphis 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Zephyrs Down Royals 4-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Defeats Oklahoma City 6 to 1 - Iowa Cubs
- 51s Host the Iowa Cubs & Omaha Royals in 8-Game Homestand from May 11-18 - Las Vegas 51s
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes May 9, 2010 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Armed Forces Honored at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers Rip Las Vegas 8-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Sock Sounds 14-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Portland Slides Past Reno, 5-2 - Reno Aces
- Carrillo pitches into seventh inning to earn second win - Portland Beavers
- Albuquerque Wins 14-2 Over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Murphy Feels at Home at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.