Carrillo pitches into seventh inning to earn second win
PORTLAND, Ore. - Eric Munson went 3-for-3 with two home runs and three RBIs in support of 6 2/3 effective innings by Cesar Carrillo as the Portland Beavers knocked off the Reno Aces 5-2 at PGE Park Saturday night.
Munson, who also drew a walk, collected the Beavers' (12-17) first multi-homer game and his first multi-hit effort of the season while extending his hitting streak to nine games. Chris Stewart hit his second home run and Sean Kazmar added an RBI single as Portland won for just the third time in their last 13 games.
Carrillo (2-2) limited the Aces (15-15) to two runs on five hits and two walks while giving Portland its longest outing by a starter this year.
Kevin Mulvey (0-2) fanned a season-high seven batters but surrendered both of Munson's home runs. He gave up just two other hits along with three walks in his six innings of work.
Ed Rogers, whose three-run homer won Friday's contest, had two hits and an RBI while Pedro Ciriaco contributed an RBI double for Reno.
Munson's solo shot to right in the second gave the Beavers an early 1-0 lead.
Ryan Roberts doubled and scored in the fourth to briefly tie the game at one before Munson went deep a second time, this one a two-run shot just to the right of the hand-operated scoreboard in center, in the bottom of the frame.
Reno scratched out a run in the seventh on Ciriaco's RBI double.
Stewart lined his seventh-inning homer off the brick wall behind the left field fence. Chris Denorfia followed with a pinch-double - his second pinch hit in as many nights - and came around on Kazmar's bloop single to center.
Ernesto Frieri struck out two while working a scoreless ninth inning to convert his sixth straight save opportunity.
The Beavers and Aces continue their series at PGE Park Sunday afternoon at 2:05 p.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 9, 2010
- 'Topes Survive Sounds, 15-12 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pink Day at the Park - Tacoma Rainiers
- Torra, Aces Shut Down Beavers, 8-1 - Portland Beavers
- Torra Masterful in 8-1 Aces Victory over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Out by Las Vegas, 4-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Lose Wild Game to 'Topes, 15-12 - Nashville Sounds
- Bogusevic Powers Express Past Memphis 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Zephyrs Down Royals 4-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Defeats Oklahoma City 6 to 1 - Iowa Cubs
- 51s Host the Iowa Cubs & Omaha Royals in 8-Game Homestand from May 11-18 - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes May 9, 2010 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Armed Forces Honored at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers Rip Las Vegas 8-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Sock Sounds 14-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Portland Slides Past Reno, 5-2 - Reno Aces
- Carrillo pitches into seventh inning to earn second win - Portland Beavers
- Albuquerque Wins 14-2 Over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Murphy Feels at Home at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss