Torra, Aces Shut Down Beavers, 8-1
PORTLAND, Ore. - Matt Torra pitched eight shutout innings and Gerardo Parra was 3-for-5 with three RBIs as the Reno Aces defeated the Portland Beavers 8-1 at PGE Park on Sunday afternoon.
Torra (2-1) retired 16 of the first 18 batters and faced just three batters over the minimum while holding the Beavers (12-18) to four hits and a walk.
Ed Rogers and Pedro Ciriaco hit back-to-back homers during a five-run third and Doug Deeds went 3-for-4 for the Aces (16-15), who won for the sixth time in their last eight games.
Radhames Liz (2-1) took the loss after giving up five runs - all in the third inning - on seven hits across four innings.
Luis Durango and Chris Denorfia each had two hits for the Beavers, who are off to their worst start in the 10 years since returning to the PCL in 2001.
The Aces scored five times off Liz in the top of the third. Deeds walked and Chris Rahl was hit by a pitch with one out. Parra lined an RBI single to right and Ryan Roberts followed with a sacrifice fly to score Rahl. Rogers and Ciriaco then both hit line-drive homers off the brick wall behind the left field fence.
Reno would add three more runs in the seventh, as Portland's Matt Buschmann allowed four consecutive hits to start the frame. The pitcher Torra helped his own cause with a leadoff double and scored on a single by Deeds. Rahl doubled to right before Parra's two-run single capped the Aces' scoring for the day.
The Beavers narrowly avoided being shut out for the first time this season in the ninth as Durango scored from second on a throwing error by the shortstop Ciriaco on what could have been a game-ending double play.
The Beavers and Aces wrap up their four-game series at PGE Park on Monday at 11:05 a.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Parra, who was optioned from Arizona on Saturday, also stole two bases ... Portland reliever Scott Munter struck out three over two perfect innings ... Rogers has six RBIs through the first three games of the series ... entering the day, Liz had allowed just one run in 10 innings at PGE Park.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 9, 2010
- 'Topes Survive Sounds, 15-12 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Pink Day at the Park - Tacoma Rainiers
- Torra, Aces Shut Down Beavers, 8-1 - Portland Beavers
- Torra Masterful in 8-1 Aces Victory over Beavers - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Out by Las Vegas, 4-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Lose Wild Game to 'Topes, 15-12 - Nashville Sounds
- Bogusevic Powers Express Past Memphis 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Zephyrs Down Royals 4-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Defeats Oklahoma City 6 to 1 - Iowa Cubs
- 51s Host the Iowa Cubs & Omaha Royals in 8-Game Homestand from May 11-18 - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes May 9, 2010 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Armed Forces Honored at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers Rip Las Vegas 8-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Sock Sounds 14-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Portland Slides Past Reno, 5-2 - Reno Aces
- Carrillo pitches into seventh inning to earn second win - Portland Beavers
- Albuquerque Wins 14-2 Over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- Murphy Feels at Home at Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss