South Bend turns tables, 2-1April 28, 2010 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
The Silver Hawks got off to a quick start when Keon Broxton and Chris Owings hit back-to-back singles to open the game. Bobby Borchering dropped a sacrifice bunt and when the throw to first was errant, Broxton raced around to score. Borchering was thrown out trying to get to second base. After Carter hit a batter, he induced an inning-ending double play to escape further damage.
The TinCaps came right back in the bottom of the inning. Jeudy Valdez and Everett Williams singled in succession to open the inning, then Nate Freiman lifted a sacrifice fly to center to tie the game at 1-1.
Neither team scored again until the 6th , when Borchering hit the first pitch of the inning over the right-field wall to give South Bend a 2-1 advantage.
The TinCaps did not have a hit after the 4th inning. They struck out a season-high 14 times and went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position.
Carter (1-3) was the losing pitcher, allowing two runs (one earned) on five hits while striking out seven. South Bend LHP Dan Taylor (1-1) picked up the win and RHP Yonata Ortega notched his fifth save.
Fort Wayne fell to 9-10 while South Bend improved to 9-11.
The TinCaps and Silver Hawks (Class-A Arizona Diamondbacks) finish the three-game series Thursday at Parkview Field at 7:05 p.m. Fort Wayne RHP John Hussey (1-0) goes to the mound against South Bend LHP Mike Belfiore (1-1).
Midwest League Stories from April 28, 2010
- Lugnuts Edge Whitecaps, 2-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trout and Jimenez Shine on Dark Night for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Nommensen Delivers Three Hits Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Come from Behind to Win 4-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big Bats Back Stanton in Cedar Rapids - Clinton LumberKings
- Rattlers Can't Stop Peoria's Streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Drop Fifth in a Row - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Fall 4-1 to Lake County - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Team Up With Beech Bend Park - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Drop Second Straight In Kane County - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Rally for Wild Walk-Off Win - Kane County Cougars
- Eddie Milner To Join Dragons TV Crew On Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Swat Bees in Rubber Game - Beloit Snappers
- South Bend turns tables, 2-1 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bullpen Dominates In Silver Hawks 2-1 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Gameday For Wednesday, April 28 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Celebrating Arbor Day With Tree Planting At Chippewa Nature Center - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Return Home On April 30 For Seven-Game Home Stand - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.