Matt Kassian Named Houston Aeros 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The YearMarch 25, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Houston Aeros
"Matt has done a tremendous job this year supporting the Houston community," said Aeros Vice President of Marketing and Communications, Courtney Eidman. "He has set a high standard in the organization for contributing both on and off the ice."
In his third season with the Aeros, Kassian has won over Aeros fans with his toughness on the ice and willingness to give back off the ice. He has played a key role in the Aeros efforts throughout the community this season, including the Aeros 15th Annual Charity Golf Classic and the 12th Annual Celebrity Waiter Dinner and Auction. Prior to Thanksgiving, Kassian led a group of players to Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital to visit patients in Pediatric ER and the Houston Aeros Power Playroom, a room funded by Houston Aeros Charities.
Kassian also helped promote Houston's Chilly's Pet Pals Night by visiting the Houston Humane Society. During his visit, he recorded a video segment that was featured on Pets on Demand, a channel dedicated to pet adoptions. He was also one of six players who took part in a special visit to the Val Jahnke Fire Training Academy and Houston Fire Station #26. The Aeros went to pay their respects to the fallen Captain and Firefighter from a year ago. After the tragic loss last year, the Aeros and Peoria Rivermen together raised $5,000 in honor of the two fallen heroes.
In recognition of his efforts, Kassian will be presented with an etched crystal trophy during an on-ice presentation prior to an upcoming Aeros home game.
Kassian is now one of 29 finalists for the AHL's 2009-10 Yanick Dupre Memorial Award, honoring the overall American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year. The league award is named after the former Hershey Bears forward and AHL All-Star who died in 1997 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. The winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award will be announced by the American Hockey League in the coming weeks.
The Aeros take the ice to kick off the season's final 3-in-3 Friday with a 7:35 p.m. tilt against the Lake Erie Monsters from Toyota Center. The club completes the stretch in Peoria with a pair of weekend games at Carver Arena. Watch the games live on ahllive.com or listen to Joe O'Donnell's call on 1070 AM-KNTH. Follow the interactive in-game blog on aeros.com.
American Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2010
- Bulldogs Recall Maxime Lacroix From Cyclones - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Matt Kassian Named Houston Aeros 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Houston Aeros
- Kearns Named IceHogs' American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves To Present Anderson With Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Release Brandt & Kashirsky From PTO's - Manitoba Moose
- Phlex To Appear At Gliding Stars Ice Show - Adirondack Phantoms
- Jordan Lavallee-Smotherman Named Syracuse Crunch's 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Syracuse Crunch
- Bagnall Named Monarchs 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Manchester Monarchs
- Landon Wilson Named Texas Stars' 2009-10 American Specialty / AHL Man Of The Year - Texas Stars
- On-Ice Passes For KC And The Sunshine Band On Sale Now - Milwaukee Admirals
- AHL Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Sound Tigers Recall Bourbeau From Odessa - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Salak, Miller And Cheevers Featured In "Between The Pipes" Card Set - Rochester Americans
- Brodie Dupont Named Wolf Pack's 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Connecticut Whale
- Mike Moore Named Worcester Sharks AHL Man Of The Year - Worcester Sharks
- Eric Neilson Named Bulldogs' American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Maki Named Admirals 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Milwaukee Admirals
- Logan Stephenson Named Adirondack's 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Adirondack Phantoms
- Vigilante Named Griffins' 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sterling Named Wolves 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man On The Year - Chicago Wolves
- Paul Baier Named Binghamton Senators' 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Binghamton Senators
- Derek Whitmore Named Portland's 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Portland Pirates
- Ty Wishart Named Norfolk Admirals' 2009-10 America Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Norfolk Admirals
- Kevin Regan Named Providence Bruins Man Of The Year - Providence Bruins
- Josh Tordjman Named San Antonio Rampage's 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - San Antonio Rampage
- Guillaume Desbiens Named Manitoba's American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Manitoba Moose
- Fitzpatrick Named Amerks' 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Rochester Americans
- American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year Team Award Winners Announced - AHL
- Morency Named Sound Tigers AHL Man Of The Year - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Matthew Pistilli Named Albany River Rats 2009-10 American Specialty/AHL Man Of The Year - Albany River Rats
- David Van der Gulik Named Abbotsford Heat's 2009-10 American - Abbotsford Heat
- Past And Present AHL Players Featured In "Between The Pipes" Card Set - AHL
- Griffins Host Amerks On Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Cody Almond - Houston Aeros
- Rampage To Host Face-Off Against Kids Cancer Night This Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons Announce New NHL Affiliation Agreement - Springfield Falcons
- Syracuse Crunch And Anaheim Ducks Announce Affiliation - Syracuse Crunch
- Saturday Night's Wolf Pack Game To Air On WTIC NewsTalk 1080 - Connecticut Whale
- Trent Whitfield Recalled By Boston Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Moose Dropped By Bulldogs, 7-1 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.