Sharks Skate Past Sound Tigers, 4-2January 17, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Cory Quirk opened the scoring 7:16 into the game, netting his third goal of the season. Damien Helminen sent an initial shot on goal which Scott Munroe turned away. Quirk charged in and batted the rebound out of mid-air and into the net.
The Sharks went up 2-0 on a power-play goal by McGinn with 8:18 left in the first. Zalewski sent a pass cross-ice to McGinn who snapped a wrist shot past Munroe for his fourth goal of the year.
Sean Bentivoglio put the Sound Tigers on the board 3:04 into the second period. Matt Martin sent a shot on net which Alex Stalock turned away. However, Bentivoglio was following the play and poked the rebound behind Stalock for his 14th goal of the year. Just 1:29 later, Logan Couture redirected a shot by Danny Grouix to score his 16th goal of the season for the Sharks.
Greg Mauldin netted his 14th goal of the year 7:39 into the third period to bring the Sound Tigers within one. With Bridgeport on the power-play, Mark Flood fired a shot from the blue-line that Mauldin tipped past Stalock into the net.
"I think we've been playing hard," defenseman Dustin Kohn said. "We just need to bear down some more and keep working to score more goals."
Stalock held the Sound Tigers silent for the rest of the game, finishing with 30 saves. Bridgeport finished with a 32-23 shots on goal advantage. Munroe made 19 saves in the loss.
Zalewski tacked on an empty-net goal with 21 seconds remaining to seal the victory for the Sharks.
The Sound Tigers are back in action Friday night when they visit the Albany River Rats. Face-off at the Times Union Center is set for 7:00 pm. The Sound Tigers return home on Tuesday, January 26 when they host Albany at 7:00 pm. For tickets, please call 203-334-GOAL.
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2010
- Dallas Recalls Ray Sawada From Texas - Texas Stars
- Griffins Take 4-3 Loss Into AHL All-Star Break - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Edged by Hershey - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Mash Marlies 5-2 Before All-Star Break - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Stay Winless In Chicago - Peoria Rivermen
- 1-17-10 Monarchs Zooperstars Shine Before Break - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Fall To River Rats 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Head Into All-Star Break On Six-Game Winning Streak - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons Beat Penguins 6-3, Have Won Three Of Last Four Games - Springfield Falcons
- Micflikier's Hat Trick Powers Albany Past Providence - Albany River Rats
- Elkins, Bernier Lead Manchester over Hartford - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers Kohn Added To AHL All-Star Game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks Swim Into All-Star Break On High Note With Win In Bridgeport - Worcester Sharks
- Sharks Skate Past Sound Tigers, 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bridgeport's Dustin Kohn Added To Roster For AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Wozniewski Back In Providence - Providence Bruins
- Hurricanes Reassign Zach Boychuk To Albany - Albany River Rats
- Monarchs Sign Kroll To Tryout - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens Re-Assign Dansereau To Elmira, Release Three Additional Players - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros head to break with 5-2 win over Toronto - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Knock Off Rockford 4-3 in a Shootout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.