Bernier-Holloway Shake Things Up In The JungleOctober 17, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Manchester Monarchs
Manchester (4-2-0-0) is tied with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (4-1-0-0) for first place in the Atlantic Division with eight points. Portland Pirates (2-4-0-0) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (2-4-0-0) are tied for seventh place in the Atlantic Division with four points each.
"It was a fun night for our home opener," said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris. "We had a lot of contribution from several team members tonight and hope to see a lot more of that (this season). Early success is important for this team."
Left wing Bud Holloway picked up his first tally of the season at 1:13 of the second period to break the scoreless tie and put the Monarchs up by a goal. The Verizon Wireless Arena erupted with the noise of macaroni and cheese as fans shook their boxes following Holloway's goal. The boxes will be collected and donated to the New Hampshire Food Bank following the game. Picking up his team leading seventh assist of the season, right wing Scott Parse sent the puck along the left wing wall for center Andrei Loktionov. The rookie carried the puck into the bottom of the left face-off circle and snapped a wrister into the chest pad of goaltender Jean-Philippe Lamoureux. The puck bounced into the slot where Holloway skated in for the one-timer into the net.
The Monarchs doubled their lead before heading into the locker room for the second intermission with defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov's first goal of the season at 18:36 of the middle frame. Left wing David Meckler won the face-off in the right circle deep in the Pirates zone. The puck slid back to the right point where Voynov blasted a one-timer through traffic. The puck bounced off Portland's defenders and around Lamoureux for the 2-0 Monarchs advantage.
Holloway netted his second goal of the night at 11:24 of the final frame. Center Gabe Gauthier picked up a pass from Loktionov in the right face-off circle. Gauthier walked in toward the net and snapped a wrist shot into the crease. The puck fluttered in the air and Holloway smacked it out of mid-air and into the net for his second goal of the season.
Parse finished off the Pirates with his first tally of the season at 14:49 of third period. Parse skated in on Lamoureux all alone and snuck the puck under the goaltender to give the Monarchs a 4-0 final. Holloway and defenseman Patrick Mullen assisted on Parse's goal.
Bernier (4-1-0) picked up the win by stopping all 29 shots he faced from the opposition. Lamoureaux (0-1-0) took his first loss of the season with 23 saves.
Manchester went 1-for-2 on the power play. Portland was 0-for-5 with the man advantage.
Notables: Left wing Bud Holloway scored two goals, his first multi-goal game in a Monarchs uniform...Goaltender Jonathan Bernier earned his sixth shutout with Manchester by denying Portland on all 29 shots they put on him...The Monarchs have shutout their opponent 66 times over the last nine seasons...Right wing Scott Parse continues to lead the team in points; he added a goal and an assist tonight...Parse's seven assists lead the team and are tied for second place in the AHL...Defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov scored his first tally of the season...Center Andrei Loktionov picked up two assists...The Monarchs collected roughly 8,000-10,000 boxes of macaroni and cheese for the New Hampshire Food Bank!...Thanks you Monarchs Fans!!!!!
The Monarchs face-off with the Springfield Falcons at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Sunday, October 18 at 3 p.m. Catch all of the play-by-play action of Monarchs hockey with Ken Cail on the Monarchs Radio Network WGAM 900/1250 AM and at www.manchestermonarchs.com.
American Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2009
- Monsters earn convincing win - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen Can't Hold Off IceHogs - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins lose to Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage return home with victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs bite Wolves - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves nipped by Bulldogs - Chicago Wolves
- Texas gets past Aeros - Texas Stars
- Hogs host big comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Bernier-Holloway Shake Things Up In The Jungle - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Beat The Wolf Pack 2-1 - Remain Perfect At Home 3-0 - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Fall to Stars 5-1 - Houston Aeros
- Phantoms Earn Point With Late Goal In Front Of Sellout Crowd - Adirondack Phantoms
- Bears stun Sens in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks fall to Devils in home opener - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose downed by Lake Erie - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Earn First Road Point of the Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rats Blast Phantoms In Overtime 2-1 - Albany River Rats
- Tokarski, Admirals Hand Sound Tigers First Loss Of Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Bernier Blanks Pirates - Portland Pirates
- OT Winner Caps Incredible Comeback - Rochester Americans
- Guite Reassigned To Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Sign Defenseman Kevin Roeder - Syracuse Crunch
- Kings Recall Moller - Manchester Monarchs
- Marlies Sign Goaltender Beau Erickson To PTO Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Announce 2009-10 Tv Schedule - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Alexandre Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Falcons Host The Wolf Pack Saturday Night - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Defeat Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.