Defenders Fall 2-1/ Lose Series 1-2August 6, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Connecticut Defenders
With one out and one on in the bottom of the ninth, DH-Matt McBride crushed a game winning RBI double to the left centerfield alleyway to plate C-Carlos Santana from first to give Akron the series. It was just the second hit of the series by McBride.
Connecticut grabbed an early lead in the first with an RBI single by SS-Brandon Crawford after loading the bases but that would be all off of Aeros' starter LHP-Bobby Livingston. Akron's southpaw worked out the early kinks and settled in to retire the next thirteen in a row. Livingston allowed just the one earned run off of five hits, four in the first inning and struck out a pair in seven innings in the no decision.
Akron tied the ballgame in the third with the bottom of the order on back to back doubles by SS-Carlos Rivero and 3B-Jerad Head. That was the only miscue for Defenders' starter RHP-Daryl Maday who retired the first seven in a row and allowed just two more hits in seven innings of work while walking a pair and fanning four in the no decision.
The Defenders would get a runner in scoring position for the first time since the first in the eighth as C-Jackson Williams lead of with a base hit and advanced to second on a 2B-Brock Bond sac bunt. But CF-Mike McBryde would pop up to second and 1B-Brett Pill would strikeout to end the threat.
Akron's reliever RHP-Steven Wright (9-0) earned the win and Defender's reliever LHP-Joe Paterson (4-5) suffered the loss.
Connecticut's six game road-trip will travel east to Erie, PA as the Defenders take on the Seawolves (Tigers) in a weekend series starting at 7:05pm Friday. Fans can catch all the action on the Defenders Flagship Station WICH 1310AM or online at ctdefenders.com.
Eastern League Stories from August 6, 2009
- Robertson Shuts Door on Senators, B-Mets Take Series with 5-3 Win - Binghamton Mets
- Erbe Unhittable As Baysox Cruise - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Rally to Beat Reading - Trenton Thunder
- Emaus Drills Ninth-Inning RBI Single in 7-1 Loss to Bowie - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- McBride Clutch as Aeros Walk-Off for 2-1 Win - Akron Aeros
- Defenders Fall 2-1/ Lose Series 1-2 - Connecticut Defenders
- Plasencia joins Sens from Potomac - Harrisburg Senators
- Aeros Game Notes for August 6 - Akron Aeros
- SeaWolves Game Notes for August 6 - Erie SeaWolves
- Mills Wins 8th Straight, Dogs Win 8-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Reel in Curve with 8-1 Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- Aeros Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday - Akron Aeros
- Curve, Spikes Take Part in Fourth Annual Blood Battle of the Ballparks - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Host Autism Awareness Night - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Announce Addition to "Sheetz Family Charities for the Kidz Night" to be held August 25th - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.