RHP Johnson signed by Yankees, added to Thunder rosterJune 27, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) - Trenton Thunder
The Santa Barbara native made four appearances (four starts) for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Triple-A) in April and went 1-1 with a 5.14 ERA. The Yankees are the ninth Major League organization Johnson has for played and he is in his 17th professional season. In his Major League career, Johnson has made 255 appearances (221 starts) and is 56-100 with a 4.99 ERA. The right-hander has made 160 appearances (140) starts in the Minor Leagues and is 49-54 with a 3.80 ERA.
Johnson was originally signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates as a non-drafted free agent on July 21, 1992. He spent six seasons in the Pirates organization until he was selected by the Tampa Bay Rays during the 1997 Expansion Draft. He was then traded by Tampa Bay to Baltimore on March 29, 2999 for OF Danny Clyburn. Johnson has also played for the Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds and Los Angeles Dodgers throughout his professional baseball career.
Nova has appeared in 12 games (12 starts) for Trenton this season with a 5-4 record and a 2.36 ERA. The 6-foot-4 right-hander went 8-13 in 26 appearances (24 starts) for Tampa (High-A) in 2008. Nova was selected by the San Diego Padres in the 2nd round (31st overall) in the 2008 Rule 5 Draft but was returned to the Yankees prior to the start of the season. The San Cristobal, Dominican Republic native was signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent on July 15, 2004.
Eastern League Stories from June 27, 2009
- Matusz, Deza Double Up Altoona - Bowie Baysox
- Trenton splits DH - Trenton Thunder
- Big Blasts Lead to 8-3 Akron Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Gonzalez, Cooper strong in return from DL in 3-1 loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Holt's Return is Short, B-Mets Upended 8-3 by Aeros - Binghamton Mets
- Mills dazzles in Portland's 3-1 win over Cats! - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve fall in game two - Altoona Curve
- Defenders Win 3-0 - Connecticut Defenders
- Defenders shutout Rock Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Bowie takes game one of DH - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Game Notes for June 27 - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Game Notes for June 27 - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Game Notes for June 27 - Portland Sea Dogs
- RHP Johnson signed by Yankees, added to Thunder roster - Trenton Thunder
- Chico joins Sens on MLB rehab - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Game Notes for June 27 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.