Sea Dogs Game Notes for June 27
Portland Sea Dogs (34-38) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (32-42)
Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM  Merchantsauto.com Stadium, Manchester, NH
RHP Adam Mills (2‐5, 6.27) vs. RHP Rey Gonzalez (3‐4, 3.07)
LONG NIGHT...WORTH IT:Portland played their second extra‐inning game of the roadtrip on Friday night and defeated the Fisher Cats 5‐4 in 12‐innings...The Sea Dogs won their first game in extra‐innings this season and evened their roadtrip to 2‐2...Tonight is game 2 of the series and the 8th meeting between the two clubs this year...With two wins in the final three games of the series, Portland will have their first series win since taking 2 of 3 from the Trenton Thunder on June 5‐7 at Hadlock Field.
LUCKY 12: SS Argenis Diaz belted a run‐scoring double down the right‐field line in the top of the 12th inning to give the Portland Sea Dogs a 5‐4 win over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats on Friday night in the series opener at Merchantsauto.com Stadium. Pinch‐hitter Reid Engel tied the game at four in the 9th inning with a lead‐off, pinch‐hit homer off RHP Adrian Martin, igniting the extra‐inning battle. The last pinch‐hit homer for the Portland franchise came on June 28, 2004 by Jeff Bailey against the Norwich Navigators. RHP T.J. Large worked two scoreless frames to earn his third win of the season WHAT A NIGHT: 2B Ryan Khoury became the first Sea Dog this season to reach base safely in 6 plate appearances...Khoury went 2‐for‐3, 2 singles, 3 walks and a hit‐by‐pitch - the Utah native is tied for the 4th most walks in the Eastern League with 42...3B Jorge Jimenez went 2‐ for‐6, 2 RBI and has back‐to‐back multi‐RBI games on the trip.
HE'S BEATING THEM ONE WAY: C Jon Still tied Jimenez for the team lead in homers with a solo‐blast in the 4th inning to give Portland a 2‐1 lead...Still is 2‐for‐20 (.100) on the roadtrip but both hits have left the park - he has homered in both series openers of the trip...LF Ryan Kalish snapped an 0‐for‐17 slump with an infield‐single to open up the 12th inning - Kalish scored the winning run on Diaz's double.
BATS ARE NOT WARM: Portland is hitting .211 (79‐for‐374) over their last 11‐games, averaging just 2.6 runs...The Sea Dogs have scored more than 5 runs only five times this month...The Sea Dogs stranded a season‐high 15 runners on base.
KEEPS GETTING ON: CF Josh Reddick went 0‐for‐3 but walked twice and has reached base safely in 28 of 32 games this season.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 27, 2009
- Matusz, Deza Double Up Altoona - Bowie Baysox
- Trenton splits DH - Trenton Thunder
- Big Blasts Lead to 8-3 Akron Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Gonzalez, Cooper strong in return from DL in 3-1 loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Holt's Return is Short, B-Mets Upended 8-3 by Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Mills dazzles in Portland's 3-1 win over Cats! - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve fall in game two - Altoona Curve
- Defenders Win 3-0 - Connecticut Defenders
- Defenders shutout Rock Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Bowie takes game one of DH - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Game Notes for June 27 - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Game Notes for June 27 - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Game Notes for June 27 - Portland Sea Dogs
- RHP Johnson signed by Yankees, added to Thunder roster - Trenton Thunder
- Chico joins Sens on MLB rehab - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Game Notes for June 27 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.