Zulich Proposes KED Expansion Plan
In a letter to the city last week, Dario Zulich announced that his company has expressed interest to build the CGS Conference & Convention Centre within the Kingsway Entertainment District (KED).
"After completing a successful hockey season and an unbelievable inaugural basketball season, we are looking forward to continuing to foster growth that will lead our great city into a new and exciting era of opportunities. As we await the successful outcome of the appeals at LPAT, we are constantly fine tuning and building upon our growth strategy," said Dario Zulich, KED Land Developer and Owner of SWSE.
Dario is a strong supporter of positioning a world class Conference & Convention Centre in Greater Sudbury, and is confident of its success, no matter where it is built. A Conference & Convention Centre will be instrumental in encouraging economic growth and diversity in our region.
However, we have discovered that a Public Private Partnership opportunity exists by integrating the Convention and Conference Centre within the KED resulting in significant savings (as high as 75%) for all tax payers.
The plan would also include an upscaled hotel component of the KED to better align with a higher caliber Tier 3 Conference & Convention Centre which would be more in line with facility expectations of the capital city of Northern Ontario. The synergies of integrating the Event Centre, Festival Square, Casino, Restaurants, a 4-Star hotel together with other future bolt-on structures such as the Sports Hall of Fame, additional Ice Pads and auditorium spaces, would truly allow the entire district to thrive as a premier destination.
The Conference & Convention Centre was not part of the original KED proposal, but the current zoning already allows for this use. "A Conference & Convention Centre for substantially less than the current projected cost, and as part of the KED, is a smart next move," said Zulich.
LPAT is currently reviewing the zoning applications of the KED development and the process is ongoing.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 24, 2019
- Generals See Season End in OT - Oshawa Generals
- Lennox, Tippett, Perfetti Key Players in Spirit Victory - Saginaw Spirit
- 67's Are Eastern Conference Champions After Overtime Win, Sweep of Generals - Ottawa 67's
- London Knights Sign Winslow - London Knights
- Zulich Proposes KED Expansion Plan - Sudbury Wolves
- Game 4 Preview: Rookie Goaltender Lennox Leads Spirit into Pivotal Game - Saginaw Spirit
- Game Preview: Gens Aim to Keep Their Season Alive Tonight at Home against 67's in Game 4 at 7:05pm - Oshawa Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.