Zorros Complete Comeback to Beat Energy FC
OKLAHOMA CITY - Ramon Martin Del Campo's game-winner at the 79th minute completed the comeback for Fresno FC (12-3-7), which downed OKC Energy FC 2-1 to capture its seventh win in eight games.
Energy FC (7-8-9) opened the scoring at the 23rd minute on a header from Kyle Hyland, but the lead was shortlived as Fresno FC forward Jaime Chavez headed in the equalizer four minutes later on a corner kick. It was Chavez's third goal in two games, increasing his tally to six this season. Jemal Johnson provided the delivery for his second assist in two games. Johnson now has four assists in 2019.
Things remained level until late in the second half when the Foxes converted on another set piece as Del Campo won the initial header on Johnson's free kick and then soon after booted the rebound just inside the post for the lead. It was Del Campo's second goal of the season. He also scored in the club's 2-1 win over Portland Timbers 2 on July 20.
Midfielder Suleiman Samura made his USL Championship debut in the victory, starting as a central midfielder. Samura, a former Fresno FC U-23s player who was signed to the pro side last month, completed 32 of 37 passes, made two tackles and two interceptions in 79 minutes played.
Also making his USL Championship debut was defender Jems Geffrard, who entered as a substitute at the 79th minute for Zach Ellis-Hayden. Geffrard, who played in one Open Cup match for Fresno FC in May, recently returned to the team after spending the summer with Haiti at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Fresno FC returns to the Valley next Friday, August 16th against Real Monarchs (10-7-4) for the third and final Fuego Friday of the season. Tickets are now on sale and can be purchased at FresnoFC.com or the Chukchansi Park Box Office.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: Ramon Martin Del Campo
Del Campo scored the game-winning goal, won 8 of 13 duels, made seven clearances, six recoveries, two blocks, and two tackles to help Fresno win its seventh in eight games.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 10, 2019
- Phoenix Rising Keeps Win Streak Rolling with 13th Straight Victory - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Trounces Tulsa Roughnecks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win; Defeats Reno 1868 FC 4-1 - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Score Stoppage Time Equalizer to Draw RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Zorros Complete Comeback to Beat Energy FC - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Lose to Monarchs 1-4 - FC Tulsa
- Steel FC remains undefeated in regular-season play at Nashville - Philadelphia Union II
- STLFC Comes Back to Draw 1-1 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Legion FC Takes Down Eastern Conference Power on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Topped Late by North Carolina FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Finks Penalty Forces 1-1 Draw in St. Louis - Charleston Battery
- Albadawi's Late Strike Leads NCFC to 2-1 Win in Memphis - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks Equalize Late to Steal a Point at Home against the Toros - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Rowdies Beaten 1-0 by Birmingham - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Defense Keeps Fifth Consecutive Clean Sheet in Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Hounds Defeat Swope Park, 3-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Falls to Tacoma in Shocking Loss - Orange County SC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBHM - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Falls to NYRB2 After Controversial Decision Puts the Club Down Two Men - Hartford Athletic
- Nashville SC Looking to Close out Grueling Week with Strong Showing against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Louisville City - Atlanta United 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview