Switchbacks FC Score Stoppage Time Equalizer to Draw RGV
Colorado Springs, CO - The Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC scored a dramatic equalizer in the third minute of stoppage time against Rio Grande Valley FC to preserve their fourth straight game unbeaten at Weidner Field.
The Switchbacks came out of the gate fast as a quick throw-in lead to Tucker Bone setting up a left-footed strike from Shane Malcolm low past Nicolas Corti. The hosts doubled their lead in the 20th minute when Jordan Burt finished from close range after rebounds from shots by Saeed Robinson and Mike Seth. Rio Grande Valley FC cut the lead in half as Michael Salazar had some combination play with Andres Arcila on top of the box before finessing his shot around Abraham Rodriguez. The game was leveled before halftime when Kevin Rodriguez's shot was partially saved by Abraham Rodriguez and it was judged to fully cross the goal line before the ball was cleared by the Switchbacks' defense.
The hosts scored a third unanswered goal to take the lead from Andres Arcila's free-kick that Abraham Rodriguez got a hand to, but he ultimately couldn't keep the ball out of the goal. Late in the game, Jordan Burt drove the ball right down the middle of the field before unleashing a shot that was deflected before being tipped over the crossbar by Nicolas Corti. In the third minute of second-half stoppage time, the Switchbacks would find their equalizer in dramatic fashion as Abdul Rwatubyaye rose above everyone to head a corner kick into the top corner of the net to rescue a point for the Switchbacks.
"I thought we came out flying. I thought we executed the game plan according to what we were focusing on. We played our game and then there was an unfortunate turn of events with a couple lucky bounces and a guy gets through. He's a player we highlighted to take care of and try to keep off the scoreboard. Good players find a way to score goals and that's what he did. It got them back into the flow of the game," said Man of the Match, Shane Malcolm. "Overall, it was back and fourth and I'm happy we got a point at the end of the day."
The Switchbacks are on the road for their next two games when they take on Sacramento Republic FC on August 17th and Fresno FC on August 24th. The Switchbacks return to Weidner Field on August 31st to face the Phoenix Rising FC on Free Underwear Night. The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a free pair of Switchbacks underwear courtesy of Sheath. Full 16oz beers will be available for $1 for the first 30 minutes after gates open at 5:00 PM. Tickets start at just $12 and are available HERE. For the price of a Switchbacks ticket and 2-5 beers, it is cheaper than buying 2-5 beers at a bar or restaurant.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 10, 2019
- Phoenix Rising Keeps Win Streak Rolling with 13th Straight Victory - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Trounces Tulsa Roughnecks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win; Defeats Reno 1868 FC 4-1 - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Score Stoppage Time Equalizer to Draw RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Zorros Complete Comeback to Beat Energy FC - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Lose to Monarchs 1-4 - FC Tulsa
- Steel FC remains undefeated in regular-season play at Nashville - Philadelphia Union II
- STLFC Comes Back to Draw 1-1 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Legion FC Takes Down Eastern Conference Power on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Topped Late by North Carolina FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Finks Penalty Forces 1-1 Draw in St. Louis - Charleston Battery
- Albadawi's Late Strike Leads NCFC to 2-1 Win in Memphis - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks Equalize Late to Steal a Point at Home against the Toros - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Rowdies Beaten 1-0 by Birmingham - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Defense Keeps Fifth Consecutive Clean Sheet in Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Hounds Defeat Swope Park, 3-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Falls to Tacoma in Shocking Loss - Orange County SC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBHM - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Falls to NYRB2 After Controversial Decision Puts the Club Down Two Men - Hartford Athletic
- Nashville SC Looking to Close out Grueling Week with Strong Showing against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Louisville City - Atlanta United 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Stories
- Switchbacks Name Downtown Stadium Weidner Field
- Switchbacks FC Time Capsule Event & Downtown Stadium Naming Wednesday
- Switchbacks FC Conclude 2020 Season with Loss to FC Tulsa
- Switchbacks FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Final Game at Weidner Field
- Switchbacks FC Historic Final Game at Weidner Field Wednesday