Match Preview: #TBRvBHM
Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Birmingham Legion FC
Saturday, August 10, 7:30 p.m. ET
Al Lang Stadium, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Follow us for live updates on Twitter at @RowdiesGameday
Tickets for Saturday's match are available by calling (727) 222-2000. Gates will open at 6:30 p.m., 60 minutes before kickoff.
How to Watch
The match will be broadcast online on ESPN+ here. International viewers can watch online here.
Tampa Bay: 13-2-7 (W-L-T), 1st place; 6-1-4 at home
Birmingham: 6-10-5 (W-L-T), 12th place; 2-5-3 on road
The Rowdies beat Birmingham Legion FC 2-0 in Alabama in the first-ever competitive meeting between the sides on June 1. Sebastian Guenzatti and Andrew Tinari scored for the Rowdies while John McCarthy saved a Brian Wright penalty in the second half.
The Tampa Bay Rowdies return home following a two-game road spell with mixed results. The Rowdies suffered their first road loss of the year in New Jersey on July 26 but bounced back to earn the biggest road win in modern team history in Charleston on August 3. In Tampa Bay's 5-0 win over the Battery last weekend, Lucky Mkosana scored the fastest goal in modern team history, putting the Rowdies ahead just 32 seconds into the match. He scored again three minutes later, ultimately earning a spot in the USL Championship Team of the Week.
The Rowdies also got big contributions in the Charleston game from Malik Johnson and Zach Steinberger, both of whom recorded both a goal and an assist. Johnson earned an honorable mention on the Team of the Week bench. Also in the Charleston game, Jaime Siaj scored his first goal for the Rowdies. He missed the first 19 matches of the season due to a combination of injuries but has now come off the bench in three consecutive matches.
Rowdies midfielder Andrew Tinari appeared off the bench late in the Charleston match, making his first appearance since June 8 due to injury. He assisted Siaj's goal, moving him into a tie for the team lead in assists (5) with Leo Fernandes. Tinari also has three goals in his first season with the Rowdies.
The Rowdies remain in first place in the USL Championship's Eastern Conference but the race is ever tightening. New York is just two points behind and Indy is six points back but with two games in hand. The Rowdies have fallen behind the Western Conference's Phoenix Rising FC in the race for first overall. Phoenix has one more point than the Rowdies with a game in hand as well. Tampa Bay's leading scorer Sebastian Guenzatti (12 goals) was nominated for Player of Month for July but ultimately finished third despite winning the fan vote.
The Rowdies kept a clean sheet last weekend in Charleston, their first clean sheet since August 1 against Birmingham. After keeping nine clean sheets in 13 matches to open the year, Tampa Bay then went eight matches without one prior to last weekend.
QUESTIONABLE - Shawn Barry (leg)
QUESTIONABLE - Yann Ekra (leg)
QUESTIONABLE - John McCarthy (leg)
QUESTIONABLE - Leon Taylor (leg)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 10, 2019
- Phoenix Rising Keeps Win Streak Rolling with 13th Straight Victory - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Trounces Tulsa Roughnecks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win; Defeats Reno 1868 FC 4-1 - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Score Stoppage Time Equalizer to Draw RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Zorros Complete Comeback to Beat Energy FC - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Lose to Monarchs 1-4 - FC Tulsa
- Steel FC remains undefeated in regular-season play at Nashville - Philadelphia Union II
- STLFC Comes Back to Draw 1-1 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Legion FC Takes Down Eastern Conference Power on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Topped Late by North Carolina FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Finks Penalty Forces 1-1 Draw in St. Louis - Charleston Battery
- Albadawi's Late Strike Leads NCFC to 2-1 Win in Memphis - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks Equalize Late to Steal a Point at Home against the Toros - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Rowdies Beaten 1-0 by Birmingham - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Defense Keeps Fifth Consecutive Clean Sheet in Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Hounds Defeat Swope Park, 3-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Falls to Tacoma in Shocking Loss - Orange County SC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBHM - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Falls to NYRB2 After Controversial Decision Puts the Club Down Two Men - Hartford Athletic
- Nashville SC Looking to Close out Grueling Week with Strong Showing against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Louisville City - Atlanta United 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.