San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win; Defeats Reno 1868 FC 4-1
RENO - San Antonio FC (8-9-6) beat Reno 1868 FC (13-6-5) 4-1 on Saturday night. A brace from midfielder Cristian Parano and goals from forward Frank Lopez and midfielder Jack Barmby gave the Alamo City club its first win at Greater Nevada Field.
"We're extremely proud of our players and staff for the accumulation of work throughout the week," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "Everyone was focused on Saturday night. I thought we started the game with good intensity and on the front foot, and we got the first goal which is always very important, and the guys saw the game out in the end."
SAFC opened the scoring in the 12th minute when midfielder Walter Restrepo found Parano with a pass near midfield. The Argentinian turned and dribbled into space before firing a powerful strike past goalkeeper James Marcinowski for the 1-0 lead. Parano scored his second of the night just before the halftime whistle after Pecka laid off the ball near midfield. Again, the 19-year-old dribbled his way into the box and placed a shot far-post to double the lead.
The hosts went down to 10 men in the 50th minute after midfielder Eric Calvillo received his second yellow card of the night following a hard tackle on Pecka. SAFC then scored its third goal of the night, this time by way of Lopez after Pecka picked a defender's pocket and found the Cuban striker, who dribbled past two defenders before beating Marcinowski with a hard, low shot.
SAFC struck again just two minutes later after Restrepo made a run down the flank with a wall-pass from Lopez and squared the ball to Barmby inside the box, from where the England native turned and finished to make it 4-0. Reno narrowed the gap in the 71st minute with a goal from Sam Gleadle following a corner kick, but were unable to find the back of the net again.
With the win, SAFC is now in ninth place in the Western Conference. The Alamo City club will return to USL Championship action on Saturday, Aug. 17 as the team hosts Rio Grande Valley FC at Toyota Field at 7:30 p.m.
SAFC: 1-0, Cristian Parano (Walter Restrepo assist) 12'
SAFC: 2-0, Cristian Parano (Pecka assist) 44'
SAFC: 3-0, Frank Lopez (Pecka assist) 56'
SAFC: 4-0, Jack Barmby 59' (Walter Restrepo assist) 58'
1868 FC: 4-1, Sam Gleadle 71'
1868 FC: Yellow Card (Eric Calvillo) 14'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Bradford Jamieson IV) 23'
1868 FC: Yellow Card (Gilbert Fuentes) 45'
1868 FC: Red Card (Eric Calvillo) 50'
1868 FC: Yellow Card (Kevin Partida) 59'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Moises Hernandez) 82'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Eby Ackon, Joshua Yaro; M: Pecka (c) (Moises Hernandez 71'), Michael Lahoud, Cristian Parano, Jose Gallegos; F: Walter Restrepo, Frank Lopez (Ever Guzman 69'), Bradford Jamieson IV (Jack Barmby 35')
Substitutions Not Used: Jonathan Viscosi, Johnny Fenwick, Rocky Perez
San Antonio FC earned their second road win of the season, defeating Reno 1868 FC 4-1 on Saturday...marks a season series sweep for SAFC over Reno after also defeating them 3-2 in June at Toyota Field...marks the first win in Reno for SAFC in team history
For the first time this season, San Antonio FC scored four goals in a USL Championship match...overall, SAFC has scored four goals in a league match four times with the last time being 7/21/18 vs. Real Monarchs SLC (W, 4-2)...SAFC has also scored four goals in one Open Cup match when they defeated the Midland Sockers 4-0 in the second round on 5/16/18
San Antonio FC midfielder Cristian Parano was named the SWBC Man of the Match after scoring two goals and recording four shots and four key passes in the win...Parano's brace was the fourth of the season for SAFC (also: Gomez, Barmby, Lopez) and the 10th overall in team history...the four braces this season ties the most recorded by SAFC in a single campaign (also 2017)...SAFC has never had a player score a hat trick
SAFC midfielder Jack Barmby scored his sixth goal of the season for San Antonio, making him the lone second-highest scorer on the club
SAFC midfielders Pecka and Walter Restrepo each recorded two assists on the night, marking the first multi-assist game for both players...Restrepo has now recorded four assists in 598 minutes to lead the team...the game marks the first time Pecka has recorded at least two assists in his SAFC career...with the two assists Pecka has doubled his career total with SAFC (four)
SAFC forward Frank Lopez scored his fourth goal since joining SAFC and 10th overall this season...Lopez is now one of three SAFC players to hit the 10-goal mark in a single season (also: Forbes, Guzman)
After recording zero points over their first six road matches, SAFC has collected seven in their last four road games in 2019...overall, SAFC has lost just twice in their last 10 league matches, recording 18 points since June 8
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 10, 2019
- Phoenix Rising Keeps Win Streak Rolling with 13th Straight Victory - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Trounces Tulsa Roughnecks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win; Defeats Reno 1868 FC 4-1 - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Score Stoppage Time Equalizer to Draw RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Zorros Complete Comeback to Beat Energy FC - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Lose to Monarchs 1-4 - FC Tulsa
- Steel FC remains undefeated in regular-season play at Nashville - Philadelphia Union II
- STLFC Comes Back to Draw 1-1 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Legion FC Takes Down Eastern Conference Power on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Topped Late by North Carolina FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Finks Penalty Forces 1-1 Draw in St. Louis - Charleston Battery
- Albadawi's Late Strike Leads NCFC to 2-1 Win in Memphis - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks Equalize Late to Steal a Point at Home against the Toros - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Rowdies Beaten 1-0 by Birmingham - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Defense Keeps Fifth Consecutive Clean Sheet in Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Hounds Defeat Swope Park, 3-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Falls to Tacoma in Shocking Loss - Orange County SC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBHM - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Falls to NYRB2 After Controversial Decision Puts the Club Down Two Men - Hartford Athletic
- Nashville SC Looking to Close out Grueling Week with Strong Showing against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Louisville City - Atlanta United 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC