Yimmi Chara, Felipe Mora Called up for Conmebol Copa AmÉrica 2021
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that midfielder Yimmi Chara and forward Felipe Mora have been called up by their respective countries for the 2021 CONMEBOL Copa América. Chara has been called in by the Colombia Men's National Team, and Mora has been called in by the Chile Men's National Team. The tournament will take place across Brazil from June 13 through July 10, and will be broadcast across the various Fox Sports channels.
Chara and Colombia are competing in Group B, and opened the tournament with a 1-0 win against Ecuador on June 13. Next, they will face off against Venezuela (June 17), Peru (June 20), and Brazil (June 23). Mora and Chile are playing in Group A against Argentina (June 14), Bolivia (June 18), Uruguay (June 21) and Paraguay (June 24). The top four teams from each group will qualify for the quarterfinals of the tournament, taking place on July 2nd and 3rd.
Chara, 30, has made 10 appearances for Colombia, tallying one goal and an assist since making his debut on Oct. 10, 2014. Making four appearances in 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying, Chara scored the game-winning goal and the first of his international career, in a 2-1 victory against Venezuela on Sept. 7, 2018. This is Chara's first call up since appearing in an international friendly against South Korea on March 26, 2019.
Mora, 27, has made eight appearances for the Chile, recording one goal since making his debut on May 31, 2018. He scored the first goal of his international career in a 3-2 victory over Guinea on Oct. 15, 2019. Mora has appeared in three South America World Cup qualifiers, including a 1-1 draw against Bolivia on June 8.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 14, 2021
- LAFC Celebrates Return to Full Capacity at Banc of California Stadium on June 19 - Los Angeles FC
- Up Next: Back in Action against D.C. - Inter Miami CF
- Through the First Seven Games, the Rapids Offense Is Firing on All Cylinders - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: FC Cincinnati - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Announces Activations for Farewell to Historic Crew Stadium Match this Saturday - Columbus Crew SC
- Nashville Soccer Club to Host Special Juneteenth Community Watch Party on June 18 - Nashville SC
- Yimmi Chara, Felipe Mora Called up for Conmebol Copa AmÉrica 2021 - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City SC & Orlando Health Announce Long-Term Partnership Renewal, Training Ground Naming Rights - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Seat Selection Process for Nashville SC Stadium Now Underway for Season Ticket Members - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Luka Stojanović Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire FC
- Chicago Fire FC Set for Full Fan Experience at Soldier Field Starting on July 3 against Atlanta United FC - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Signs Defensive Midfielder Facundo Quignón - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.