Yard Dawgz defeat Quad City Steamwheelers
OKLAHOMA CITY-A crowd of 7,617 were on hand for the debut of Compassionate Care Hospice Field at the Ford Center, where the Yard Dawgz (2-1) defeated the 2nd ranked Quad City Steamwheelers (3-1).
The two teams hadn't faced each other since 2005, where they left the series tied 1-1.
The Steamwheelers came out swinging on their first drive of the game when a powerful FB/LB Jermaine Petty scored on a 4 yd run. The Dawgz quickly responded when QB Stan Hill connected with rookie Pierre Velazquez in the end zone, who later received the Cutters Catch of the Game award.
Scoring continued to be no problem for either team as the Steamwheelers and Yard Dawgz exchanged scores, bringing the first quarter to a tie at 21.
Despite the impressive start for the Steamwheelers, the second quarter was less productive as they were held to only one score when QB Raterink completed a 34 yd pass to Jack Walker, Jr. The Yard Dawgz racked up 16 points in the second, with receiver Danny Howard connecting with Week 3 Offensive Player of the Game, Stan Hill. The speed of Velazquez was unmatched by the Steamwheelers defenders as he had a 36 yd kickoff return.
The Yard Dawgz struck first in the third quarter when Velazquez caught his second TD pass on the night from Hill. The Steamwheelers were held scoreless until 1:45 left in the third when backup quarterback Matt Pike completed his first of two touchdown passes in the contest.
Belmonte delivered an outstanding onside kick, which landed the ball in Yard Dawgz hands. The Dawgz quickly scored on a Hill 21 yd pass to veteran Al Hunt. The Yard Dawgz would score twice more, brining them to a 19 point lead at the end of the 4th with a final score of 63 to 41.
Next week, the Yard Dawgz travel to Boise for their third road game of the season. The Dawgz will be back in action at the Ford Center on May 5th, where they'll challenge their division rivals, the Tulsa Talons. Kickoff is set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 21, 2007
- Yard Dawgz defeat Quad City Steamwheelers - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Quad City Steamwheelers Fall to Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz 63-41 - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Copperheads notch first win - Texas Copperheads
- Shock defeat Renegades, 63-26 - Spokane Shock
- Pioneers Upset Firecats 58-36 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- Wolves win 54-41 over Fusion - Manchester Wolves
- Mahoning Valley defeats Cincinnati - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Tuupo Returns to Stockton, B2 Networks To Air Internet Games - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.