Mahoning Valley defeats Cincinnati
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - QB Glen Gauntt connected with five different receivers for six touchdowns, leading the Mahoning Valley Thunder to a 54-20 win over the Cincinnati Jungle Kats on Saturday night on Cortland Banks Field at the Chevrolet Centre in Youngstown, Ohio. The Thunder (3-0) notched the first victory in the "Battle of Ohio" in front of a crowd of 4,798.
Gauntt finished 23-of-37 for 267 yards and 1 interception in the win. WR DeMarcus Mathes was the favorite target of the night, catching eight passes for 155 yards and three touchdowns. In his Thunder debut, FB Tim Murphy scored his first career rushing touchdown in the fourth quarter, giving the Thunder a 45-20 lead. Murphy was assigned to the club earlier in the week.
QB Mike Schneider replaced Gauntt in the fourth quarter with a 45-20 lead. Schneider finished 2-of-5 for 47 yards in his af2 debut. He connected with Mathes in the fourth quarter, notching his first passing touchdown of his career.
For the Jungle Kats (0-3), QB Kelvin Robinson finished 16-of-21 for 151 yards and one touchdown. Robinson also added the first score of the game, a 24-yard scamper in the first quarter.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 21, 2007
- Yard Dawgz defeat Quad City Steamwheelers - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Quad City Steamwheelers Fall to Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz 63-41 - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Copperheads notch first win - Texas Copperheads
- Shock defeat Renegades, 63-26 - Spokane Shock
- Pioneers Upset Firecats 58-36 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- Wolves win 54-41 over Fusion - Manchester Wolves
- Mahoning Valley defeats Cincinnati - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Tuupo Returns to Stockton, B2 Networks To Air Internet Games - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.