Pioneers Upset Firecats 58-36
Estero, FL- The 4th ranked Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers defeated the top ranked Florida Firecats 58-36 at Germain Arena. Pioneers QB Ryan Vena passed for 5 touchdowns while running for 3 more scores leading his team to their 1st ever win over Florida.
The Pioneers jumped out to the early 7-0 lead on their opening possession as Vena connected with Tyreak Saviour for the 1st of 3 scores and never looked back as 5,642 fans were on hand to watch Florida loose just their 3rd regular season game at home since Kevin Bouis became head coach in 2005.
The Firecats receivers dropped passes all night as QB Chris Wallace threw 4 TD passes, giving him 299 for his career. Florida converted on just 1 of 6; 4th down opportunities and also committed 2 turnovers on offense. Wilkes-Barre on the other hand committed just 1 turnover in the ballgame and converted on 7 of 8 opportunities in the redzone.
Florida receiver Magic Benton provided the lone bright spot in the game for the Firecats catching a single game team record 14 passes.
In a game that set up to be a good measuring stick for both teams, it was the Pioneers who rose to the challenge, while the Firecats have to find a way to put the game behind them and move on. Florida will look to rebound next week against the Tennessee Valley Vipers at home in a South Division match while the Pioneers return home to battle the Cincinnati Jungle Kats.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 21, 2007
- Yard Dawgz defeat Quad City Steamwheelers - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Quad City Steamwheelers Fall to Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz 63-41 - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Copperheads notch first win - Texas Copperheads
- Shock defeat Renegades, 63-26 - Spokane Shock
- Pioneers Upset Firecats 58-36 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- Wolves win 54-41 over Fusion - Manchester Wolves
- Mahoning Valley defeats Cincinnati - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Tuupo Returns to Stockton, B2 Networks To Air Internet Games - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.