Quad City Steamwheelers Fall to Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz 63-41
(Oklahoma City, Okla.) - The Quad City Steamwheelers were defeated for the first time this season by the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz 63-41.
With the Yard Dawgz trailing 27-21 Oklahoma City rattled off 22 unanswered points in route to the victory.
After the Steamwheelers took a 27-21 on a 34-yard pass from quarterback J.J. Raterink to Jack Walker Jr. to start the second quarter, the Yard Dawgz scored on a five-play 40 yard drive, a safety, 36-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to take a 37-27 lead into the half. Oklahoma City continued the barrage to open the second half after Stan Hill hit Pierre Velazquez for a 23-yard pass to take a 43-27 lead.
After scoring to open the second quarter the Steamwheelers would not score again until 1:40 left in the third quarter. Steamwheelers quarterback J.J. Raterink played the first half and most of the third quarter finishing the game with 223 yards and three touchdowns before being replaced by backup Matt Pike with 4:54 remaining in the third quarter. Walker Jr., who had three of Quad Cities six touchdowns, finished the game with nine receptions for 99 yards. For his efforts Walker Jr., was named the Olympic Steel Man of the Game. Defensively Antwan Allen and Kevin Adams each had one pick and finished with 6.5 and 5.5 tackles respectively.
For the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz Stan Hill, the Offensive Player of the Game, finished with 259 yards and five touchdown passes on 22 completions. Both Danny Howard and Velaquez finished the game with two touchdowns while Howard tallied 98 yards and Velazquez notched 83. ADT Defensive Player of the Game honors went to Jon Holland for his 12.5 tackles.
The Quad City Steamwheelers return to action on Friday when they take on the Green Bay Blizzard in a divisional match-up.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 21, 2007
- Yard Dawgz defeat Quad City Steamwheelers - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Quad City Steamwheelers Fall to Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz 63-41 - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Copperheads notch first win - Texas Copperheads
- Shock defeat Renegades, 63-26 - Spokane Shock
- Pioneers Upset Firecats 58-36 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- Wolves win 54-41 over Fusion - Manchester Wolves
- Mahoning Valley defeats Cincinnati - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Tuupo Returns to Stockton, B2 Networks To Air Internet Games - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.