Copperheads notch first win
HOUSTON - With both sides of the ball clicking, the expansion Texas Copperheads earned their first victory of the season, thrashing the Corpus Christi Sharks, 56-42, before a crowd of 2,846 at the Berry Center. The two teams forced a tied score at 28 before kicker Nick Gatto booted a 34-yard field goal with no time remaining for a 31-28 Texas lead at halftime. With the game still in doubt heading into the fourth quarter, the Copperheads (1-2) outscored Corpus (0-3) 19-7 in the final period. Sharks quarterback Juan De Los Santos threw all three of his picks in the final 11 minutes as Texas' Jarrod Fuller returned a kickoff for a touchdown. Defensive back Kealvin Armstong, playing in his first game, took a 12-yard interception for a score late in the game. Much-maligned quarterback Tony Eckert completed 16-of-31 passes for 219 yards and five touchdowns. Receivers Obrey Minor caught seven passes for 112 yards and three scores. Defensively, the Copperheads forced six turnovers, and defensive back Greg Yeldell tallied nine total tackles and an interception.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 21, 2007
- Yard Dawgz defeat Quad City Steamwheelers - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Quad City Steamwheelers Fall to Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz 63-41 - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Copperheads notch first win - Texas Copperheads
- Shock defeat Renegades, 63-26 - Spokane Shock
- Pioneers Upset Firecats 58-36 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- Wolves win 54-41 over Fusion - Manchester Wolves
- Mahoning Valley defeats Cincinnati - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Tuupo Returns to Stockton, B2 Networks To Air Internet Games - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.