Yamamoto Called up from Jumbo Shrimp to Marlins
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Miami Marlins announced a transaction that impacts their Double-A affiliate Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp roster prior to tonight's game against the Birmingham Barons at Regions Field at 8:05 p.m. eastern.
Right-handed starting pitcher Jordan Yamamoto has been recalled to the major league Miami Marlins. Yamamoto will make his major league debut tonight as he starts for the Marlins against the St. Louis Cardinals at 7:10 p.m. at Marlins Park in Miami, Florida.
Yamamoto made 12 starts for the Jumbo Shrimp, going 3-5 with a 3.58 ERA, striking out 64 batters in his 65 and a third innings of work. Yamamoto enjoyed a dominant month of May, going 2-2 with a 2.12 ERA in his five starts. His May was highlighted by his start on May 20 when he worked seven no-hit innings against the Montgomery Biscuits at the Baseball Grounds, walking only one batter while collecting four strikeouts.
Yamamoto, 23, is a native of Kailua, Hawaii, and last season made three starts for the Jumbo Shrimp where he was 1-0 with a 2.12 ERA with 23 strikeouts in his 17 innings of work. Yamamoto was acquired by the Marlins with outfielders Lewis Brinson and Monte Harrison and infielder Isan Diaz in a trade with the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for outfielder Christian Yelich on January 25, 2018. Yamamoto is currently regarded as the Marlins No. 17 prospect according to MLB Pipeline. Yamamoto was originally selected by the Brewers in the 12th round of the 2014 draft out of St. Louis High School in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Yamamoto is the first member of the 2019 Jumbo Shrimp to be called up to the major leagues.
There is not a corresponding move at this time.
The Jumbo Shrimp roster stands at 23 active players.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Barons will begin their series with the first game of the five-game set on Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. eastern. Right-handed pitcher Kolton Mahoney (1-0, 3.94 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Birmingham right-handed pitcher Blake Battenfield (2-2, 5.81 ERA). Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 7:50 p.m. with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Smokies Drop Series Opener in 12 in Pensacola - Tennessee Smokies
- One Run Enough as Barons Take Opener vs. Shrimp - Birmingham Barons
- Mahoney Perfect, Barons Edge Shrimp Late 1-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts Loss Makes Comeback Tougher - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Rosenberg Shuts Down Lookouts, 7-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Five Lookouts Named 2019 North Division All-Stars - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Wednesday, June 12 vs. Mobile BayBears | 6:35 Pm CT | Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, June 12 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Yamamoto Called up from Jumbo Shrimp to Marlins - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Dallas Keuchel Expected to Start for M-Braves During Saturday Doubleheader - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp to Hold Food & Beverage Job Fair February 19
- "CRUSHstacean Nation" Wins Jumbo Shrimp Fan-Designed T-Shirt Contest
- Jumbo Shrimp's "Frozen 2" Family Movie Night Set for March 21
- Raines Vikings Win Inaugural High School Heritage Classic
- Jumbo Shrimp to Hold Food & Beverage Job Fairs February 15 & 19