Yainer Diaz Named High-A East League Player of the Week
ASHEVILLE - Earlier today Minor League Baseball announced their weekly awards and Asheville's Yainer Diaz (JYE-nair DEE-az) was named the High-A East League Player of the Week. Diaz is the second Tourists player this season to win the award. Scott Schreiber won Player of the Week for his production from June 14-20.
During the week of September 6-12, Diaz started all six games the Tourists played; three at catcher and three at first base. The Azua, D.R. native went 12-for-25, a .480 batting average, hit five Home Runs and two doubles, drove in 13, and scored ten runs. Diaz also worked three walks for an on-base percentage of .536.
Diaz was acquired by the Houston Astros on July 30 of this year via trade with the Cleveland Indians. Yainer spent two weeks with the Fayetteville Woodpeckers before earning a promotion to Asheville on August 17.
In Diaz's time with the Tourists, which spans 20 games, the right-handed hitter has hit a league-best 10 Home Runs and collected a league-best 26 RBI. His .384 batting average during that stretch is the second highest mark in the High-A East League.
Diaz and the Tourists have one series remaining in the 2021 season. The team opens play in Winston-Salem on Tuesday afternoon with a 3:36pm ET first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 13, 2021
- Schedule for 2022 BKLYN Cyclones Season Announced - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Renegades Release 2022 Season Schedule - Hudson Valley Renegades
- BlueClaws Release 2022 Schedule - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Rome Braves Release 2022 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Winston-Salem Dash Announce 2022 Schedule - Winston-Salem Dash
- Crawdads Announce 2022 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- The Final Six of Summer - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Yainer Diaz Named High-A East League Player of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- MR: Thursday's Doubleheader Converted to Single Nine-Inning Game - Rome Braves
- Gades Close out Cyclones; Hoppers Are Next - Hudson Valley Renegades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.