Worcester Sharks Sign Four Players to AHL Deals
Worcester, MA - Worcester Sharks (@WorcesterSharks) general manager Joe Will announced today that the Worcester Sharks have signed forwards Jimmy Bonneau, Riley Brace, and Lane Scheidl along with defenseman Kyle Bigos to one year AHL contracts for the 2013-14 season. Per club policy terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Veteran forward Jimmy Bonneau (@JimmyBonneau) returns for his third season with the Worcester Sharks. The 28-year-old from Baie-Comeau, PQ has played 80 games over two seasons with the Sharks recording six points (1-5-6) and 249 penalty minutes. Bonneau (6-3,225lbs) has skated in 274 AHL games with Hamilton, Portland, Rochester, and Worcester accumulating 22 points (6-16-22), 802 penalty minutes, and 105 fighting majors.
"Jimmy is a top notch leader and quality person that sticks up for his teammates," said Joe Will. "Bonneau is a fan favorite that adds a veteran presence and leads by example with hard work and determination."
Rookie forward Riley Brace (@RBrace25) enters his first full season with the Worcester Sharks after spending the last five seasons with Mississauga (OHL). The 21-year-old from Ottawa, ON is the all-time leader in games played (304) for Mississauga, is tied for the franchise lead in points (89-145-234), and added 264 penalty minutes. Last season, Brace (5-11,185lbs) led Mississauga in assists (52), points (73) and penalty minutes (89) before skating in eight games with the Worcester Sharks where he recorded six points (3-3-6) and two penalty minutes.
"Riley is a skilled, competitive, smart player that plays with an edge and impressed the Sharks staff in Worcester last season," said Joe Will. "We look forward to Brace developing his skills in Worcester as he begins his professional career."
Rookie forward Lane Scheidl (@LSceidl92) enters his first full season with the Worcester Sharks after spending the last five seasons in the WHL with Vancouver, Red Deer, and Regina. The 21-year-old from Saskatoon, SK led the Regina Pats last season in goals (41), 2nd in assists (39), 1st in points (80) and played in all 72 games. Scheidl (5-11,190lbs) was named the Pats Player of the Year and the Three Stars Award Winner last season before suiting up in 11 games with the Worcester Sharks (1-1-2).
"Lane was the go-to guy last season in Regina," said Joe Will. "Scheidl is strong, skilled, and very smart with and without the puck. He played extremely well in his short stint in Worcester last season and we look forward to his development next season."
Rookie defenseman Kyle Bigos (@BigosK) enters his first season with the Worcester Sharks after spending the last four seasons with Merrimack College (HE) where he recorded 47 points (14-33-47) in 133 games. The 24-year-old from Upland, CA was originally drafted by the Edmonton Oilers in 2009 with the 99th pick overall. Bigos (6-5,235lbs) recorded 11 points (4-7-11) and 111 penalty minutes last season with Merrimack and was acquired by the San Jose Sharks from the Edmonton Oilers on July 6th in exchange for forward Lee Moffie.
"Kyle is a big, strong defenseman that is full of character," said Joe Will. "The San Jose Sharks traded for him from Edmonton as he brings a lot of potential to the Sharks blue line."
The Sharks 8th home opener at the newly renovated DCU Center will be on Saturday, October 19th! The only way you can secure your tickets for opening night is to purchase a season ticket package, book a group, or score an Opening Night T-Shirt Pack!
Score a Sharks t-shirt, a ticket to opening night, and pick two games of the five other guaranteed nights! Click HERE to order online. The six guaranteed home dates are as follows:
- Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013 - opening night at the DCU Center with magnet schedule giveaway
- Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013 - Sharks player poster giveaway
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013 - Military and Veterans Appreciation Night
- Friday, Dec. 27, 2013 - School Vacation - Worcester Sharks kid's hat giveaway
- Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014 - Shrewsbury vs. Algonquin HS Doubleheader
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 - Bobblehead Night with Hudson vs. Marlborough HS Doubleheader
2013-14 Flex ticket packages are on sale now! Score your 40 or 12 ticket flex package by contacting the Sharks front office at 508-929-0500. You decide how many tickets and how many games YOU want to attend while saving $$$ off box office pricing! It is that EASY!
Bring a group to sing the national anthem, book a fundraising event, host a birthday party, or have a blast in the high fin tunnel.... secure your personalized Sharks experience today!
Contact Worcester Sharks ticket representatives Jason Jones, Jonathan Forsberg, Kristyn Galante, Erin Croce, and Sean West as they are taking deposits for the Sharks 8th season in Worcester! Jump in today and save up to 35% off box office prices! Some of the exclusive benefits for full season ticket holders will include:
- Guaranteed same seat for all 38 home dates and playoff home games at the DCU Center
- Priority access to purchase tickets to other DCU Center events (subject to availability)
- Seven FREE friends and family vouchers
- Exclusive events with Sharks players
- Merchandise discounts and much, much, more!
Season ticket packages and group tickets for the 2013-14 season are on sale now by contacting the Worcester Sharks Office at 508.929.0500 or by crashing the net at www.SharksAHL.com.
Socialize with the Worcester Sharks all year long! Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WorcesterSharks, follow us on Twitter @WorcesterSharks, and download the Worcester Sharks App for free on your Droid or iPhone today!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 16, 2013
- Kings Acquire Carcillo from Chicago - Manchester Monarchs
- IceCaps Sign Four Players Including O'Neill and Schnell - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Agree to Terms With Stanton - Rockford IceHogs
- Greg Rallo and D Michael Caruso Ink One-Year Deals With Florida - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Sign Defenseman Maxime Fortunus to Two-Year Contract - Texas Stars
- Rampage Sign Trio of Players - San Antonio Rampage
- Lightning Re-sign Barberio - Syracuse Crunch
- IceCaps Agree to Terms With Four Skaters - St. John's IceCaps
- Second Annual 'Bob's Ride for Five' Set for Thursday, July 18 - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Announce Opening Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons Hold 'Beat Screech' Promotion - Springfield Falcons
- 'Canes Sign Jared Staal - Charlotte Checkers
- Worcester Sharks Sign Four Players to AHL Deals - Worcester Sharks
- Bulldogs Home Opener Set For Friday, October 11 - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.