Woodchucks, Dock Spiders Resume Play After Delay
WAUSAU, WI - The Wisconsin Woodchucks and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders underwent a lengthy delay at Athletic Park, but play has resumed in the backdrop of steady lingering showers.
A storm cell slowly danced through Marathon County Thursday evening, forcing the umpires to stop the matchup between frames in the second inning. The hiatus- called at approximately 7 p.m., lasted officially two hours and two minutes.
The Dock Spiders led 5-1 when the game was paused. Two third inning runs allowed Fond du Lac to extend their margin to 7-1 before making it 8-1 on a fourth inning sacrifice fly.
Wisconsin is 6-1 when trailing in games in 2021. The 7-2 Chucks will look to improve that mark while growing their one and a half game lead over the Dock Spiders in the Great Lakes West Division.
Brandon Trammell opened the scoring for the Woodchucks in the bottom of the first with a solo home run to right field. The Dock Spiders however responded with a five-run second inning, scoring on a fielder's choice, a defensive error and a double off the left field wall.
Will Geerdes started on the mound for Wisconsin. His outing lasted two innings before being relieved by Sean Higgins after the weather delay.
Brandon Trammell had a solo home run in the first inning.
The Woodchucks are at home all weekend, with the series finale against Fond du Lac slated for 6:35 p.m. Friday at Athletic Park. There will be postgame fireworks presented by Cellcom.
For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 10, 2021
- Growlers Bullpen Folds Again as Pit Spitters Win 11-7 - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Bombers Rally in the Ninth to Defeat Kokomo 10-4 - Battle Creek Bombers
- Woodchucks, Dock Spiders Resume Play After Delay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Fail to Score in 5-0 Loss to Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters Rally from Five Down, Score Nine Straight to Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Booyah Look to Bounce Back - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Return Home to Start Home-And-Home with Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Unable to Pull off Sweep of Huskies, Lose 11-7 - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Stun Dock Spiders in 6-5 Comeback Victory - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Honkers Fall to St. Cloud on Walk-Off Single - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Split Series with Larks After 9-4 Win Wednesday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rivets Squander Early Lead, Fall to Kokomo - Rockford Rivets
- Rox Rally to Walk off Rochester in the Ninth - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.