Wood Ducks Can't Overcome Big Innings In Loss To Wilmington
Wilmington, Del. - The Down East Wood Ducks led 3-0 early, and were tied 4-4 in the eighth, but two four-run innings from Wilmington in the ballgame led to an 8-4 Blue Rocks win.
Down East (34-25, 84-45) went just 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position, while the Blue Rocks (33-28, 77-53) went 6-for-18 in their opportunities.
The Wood Ducks got on the board first in the third inning. Bubba Thompson started the frame with a leadoff single, and Yanio Perez singled to right-center to follow. Later in the inning, Julio Pablo Martinez came through with an infield single to score a run, and make it 1-0. Thompson tallied two hits and two walks, reaching base all four times at-bat.
Down East added on in the fourth inning. Curtis Terry led off the inning with a walk, and Sherten Apostel followed with a free pass. Yohel Pozo singled through the left side to plate a run, and later in the frame Perez brought a second run home with a fielder's choice, to make it 3-0.
Daniel Lynch worked five innings for Wilmington, allowing three runs on four hits, he walked three, and matched a career high with nine strikeouts.
Tim Brennan got a lot of ground ball outs early, for the Woodies, but ran into trouble in the middle innings.
The first four batters in the fourth inning all singled, including an RBI single from Nick Pratto and a two-run single from Cristian Perez to tie the score. Later in the inning, Kyle Isbel came through with an RBI single to put Wilmington in front, 4-3.
Brennan was then lifted in the fifth inning after loading the bases, but Cole Uvila was able to pick up a couple of strikeouts to work out of the jam. Brennan worked 4.1 innings, giving up four runs on ten hits, he walked one, and struck out two.
Down East came back to tie in the eighth inning. Terry beat out an infield single to start the frame against Robert Garcia (win, 4-2). Franklin Rollin then pinch ran, and came into score one batter later on an Apostel double down the line in right field, to even the score at 4-4.
Jairo Beras (loss, 3-1) took over for the Woodies in the ninth, and walked Perez to start the inning. He then was unable to get outs on two sac bunt attempts, resulting in the Blue Rocks loading the bases. After a strikeout, Beras hit Brewer Hicklen to force home a run, and then Tyler Hill and Dennicher Carrasco came through with back-to-back singles to push the Blue Rocks to their largest lead of the night. Kyle Kasser then grounded out to second base to plate a run, and cap the Wilmington scoring, 8-4.
Tad Ratliff struck out a pair in the ninth to close out the ballgame, as the Wood Ducks went down on strikes 16 times on the night.
The Wood Ducks will look to salvage the finale against Wilmington on Sunday, when they send right-hander Noah Bremer (3-0, 3.20) to the mound to face off with Wilmington righty Jonathan Bowlan (5-3, 2.98). First pitch is set for 1:35 p.m., and the pregame show will begin at 1:20 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio App. The Woodies then return home, Monday, to close out the regular season home slate with a four-game series against the Frederick Keys. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com or call (252) 686-5172.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Wood Ducks Can't Overcome Big Innings In Loss To Wilmington - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Fall to Salem in First Two Games of the Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Turang Scores Three Runs in 5-3 Carolina Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Stiever Records Ninth Quality Start in 1-0 Loss at Potomac - Winston-Salem Dash
- P-Nats Hang on in 1-0 Victory over Winston-Salem - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers and Keys Split Doubleheader - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Turang, Feliciano Carry Carolina over Lynchburg on Saturday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Keys and Woodpeckers Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- LHP Bryan Hudson placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 24 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- August 24 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hairston and Bender assigned to Double-A; Hernandez reinstated and Urbaez added - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 24 at Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 24 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year