Stiever Records Ninth Quality Start in 1-0 Loss at Potomac
WOODBRIDGE, Va. - Jonathan Stiever tossed his ninth quality start in 11 High-A outings on Saturday, but the Potomac Nationals edged the Dash 1-0 in the middle match at Pfitzner Stadium.
With the loss, the Dash (30-30, 68-56) are currently back three games of the Fayetteville Woodpeckers for the second-half Southern Division wild card chase with nine games left to play.
Stiever, who ultimately earned the no-decision on Saturday, went six innings and allowed six hits while walking one and striking out five. The former fifth-round pick out of Indiana lowered his ERA to 2.22 at the High-A level, and the righty has 71 strikeouts over 65.0 innings pitched.
Despite Stiever's magnificent performance, Potomac (30-30, 61-66) broke a scoreless tie in the eighth inning against Jacob Lindgren (1-2). With one out, Omar Meregildo was hit by a pitch. Following a Jack Sundberg single, Cole Freeman walked to load the bases. Then, KJ Harrison grounded a run-scoring fielder's choice to put Potomac ahead for good.
The Nationals starter Carson Teel went seven innings, allowing three hits while striking out five. Luis Reyes (4-5), who earned the victory, recorded a perfect eighth inning by striking out two. Meanwhile, Frankie Bartow logged his seventh save in nine attempts with a perfect ninth. Teel, Reyes and Bartow combined to retire the last 14 batters they faced. Winston-Salem managed just three hits in the loss, and the Dash did not have a runner in scoring position the entire night.
The Dash wrap up their three-game set at Potomac on Sunday at Pfitzner Stadium. Left-hander Taylor Varnell (1-1, 3.38 ERA) takes the hill in the rubber match against P-Nats right-hander Jackson Tetreault (2-2, 2.36 ERA). First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast and the TuneIn Radio App.
Following Winston-Salem's road trip, the Dash host the Salem Red Sox for the final four home games of the season from August 26-29. The series begins with a 7 p.m. game on Monday, August 26. Tuesday's game will be the first-ever 336 Counts Community Day, with first pitch at 3:36 p.m., free parking and discounted food and beer prices.
The series with Salem continues with Winston Wednesday, with $10 presale tickets and the Dash wearing their retro Warthogs jerseys. Thursday, August 29, will be the final regular season home game of the 2019 season. The home finale is a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday and a Pups in the Park Night presented by Handy and Handy Orthodontics. Additionally, there will be a Food Truck Festival prior to the game. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Wood Ducks Can't Overcome Big Innings In Loss To Wilmington - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Fall to Salem in First Two Games of the Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Turang Scores Three Runs in 5-3 Carolina Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Stiever Records Ninth Quality Start in 1-0 Loss at Potomac - Winston-Salem Dash
- P-Nats Hang on in 1-0 Victory over Winston-Salem - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers and Keys Split Doubleheader - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Turang, Feliciano Carry Carolina over Lynchburg on Saturday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Keys and Woodpeckers Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- LHP Bryan Hudson placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 24 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- August 24 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hairston and Bender assigned to Double-A; Hernandez reinstated and Urbaez added - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 24 at Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 24 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.