Wizards Top Des Moines 1-0 In U.S. Open Cup
Overland Park, Ks. (Wednesday, July 12, 2006) - The Kansas City Wizards took their first step at regaining the U.S. Open Cup title with a 2-1 victory over the Des Moines Menace in third round action. Scott Sealy netted a stoppage time goal and assisted on Kansas City's first tally in leading the Wizards into a fourth round match-up against the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park on August 2nd.
Kansas City and Des Moines played a spirited and thrilling match in front of an overflow crowd of 2,102 at the Blue Valley Athletic Complex on a hot and humid night in Johnson County.
Following a scoreless first half, Ryan Pore broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute with a breakaway goal after Sealy fed him a through ball up the middle of the field. Pore collected the pass and beat the keeper low and to the right.
The Menace leveled the match less than ten minutes later on a corner kick from Edwin Disang. From their offensive left side, Disang drove in the set piece and Brad Witsitt managed to get his head on it, redirecting the ball to the back post to tie the game at 1-1 in the 72nd minute.
But the Wizards rebounded late in the match to knock Des Moines out of the Open Cup for the second consecutive year thanks to Sealy's strike. From just outside the center circle, Jack Jewsbury played a ball behind the Menace defense and into the path of Sealy on the left flank. The second-year forward beat his man around the corner and was left with a 1-on-1 opportunity with the goalkeeper as he neared the top left corner of the penalty box. Sealy calmly pushed the ball onto his right foot and hit a low shot to the near side for what proved to be the game-winner with less than one minute left in stoppage time.
The Wizards return to Major League Soccer league action this Saturday, July 15th, when they host the Houston Dynamo. Kickoff for the match at Arrowhead Stadium is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. CT. The game is a Wendy's Family Pack Night, therefore, fans can purchase four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas, four coupons for a Frosty, and a soccer ball for $44 dollars. Also, the first 5,000 fans through the gates will receive a free Wizards hat, compliments of Radio Shack.
Kansas City Wizards Lineup (4-4-2): Will Hesmer-GK; Matt Groenwald (Sergei Raad 46'), Shavar Thomas (C), Brian Roberts, Stephen Shirley; Ryan McMahen, Ryan Raybould, Jack Jewsbury, Yura Movsisyan (Will John 46'); Ryan Pore (Eddie Johnson 75'), Scott Sealy
Des Moines Lineup (4-5-1): Jack Settle-GK; Joe Klosterman, Zeke DomBrowski, Alex Munns, Peter Kariotis; Joe Germanese (Tucker Zindlinger 74'), Brad Whitsitt, Chris Hamburger, Justin McGrane (Cody Kother 51'); Armien Mujdzic (Edwin Disang 63'), Thomas Boltnar (C)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2006
- Wizards Top Des Moines 1-0 In U.S. Open Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United to host Columbus Crew in U.S. Open Cup - D.C. United
- Niko earns MLS player of the week honors - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids game notes - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United's 'United Drives' collects toiletries - D.C. United
- de Rosario selected to MLS All-Star First XI - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United appearances July 13-15 - D.C. United
- Galaxy's Donovan and Albright named to MLS All-Star First - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dempsey, Joseph voted to MLS All-Star "First XI" - New England Revolution
- D.C. United's Gomez, Moreno and Perkins named to MLS All-Star Team - D.C. United
- All-Star First XI Features Nine Former All-Stars, Two Newcomers - MLS
- Tony Meola Out 2-3 Weeks - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Wins 4-2 Thriller, Advances to Conference Finals
- Preview: Sporting KC to Battle RSL in Home Playoff Game Sunday
- Sporting KC's Johnny Russell Named to Scotland National Team
- Sporting KC Rallies for 1-1 Road Result in Playoff Opener
- Preview: Sporting KC Begins Playoff Campaign Sunday at Real Salt Lake