Winnipeg Blue Bombers Agree to Terms on a One-Year Extensions with Defensive Backs Mercy Maston and Nick Taylor
WINNIPEG, MB. - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on one-year extensions with American defensive backs Mercy Maston and Nick Taylor. Maston became a free agent after asking for his release to pursue NFL opportunities late last August following the cancellation of the Canadian Football League's 2020 season. He originally signed with Winnipeg as a free agent on August 4, 2019. He was then signed to a one-year extension on December 9, 2019.
Lining up at both defensive halfback and the 'dime' position, Maston appeared in three regular season games and all three playoff contests during the Grey Cup run of 2019, registering 13 tackles, one interception and one sack.
Prior to joining the Bombers, he played two seasons with the Edmonton Football Team (2017-18), recording 57 tackles and two interceptions in 19 games. He was released to pursue NFL opportunities in January of 2019 and signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. Taylor returns to the Blue Bombers for a second season after initially joining the team in 2019. He started the 2019 season with Edmonton and dressed for three games before being released. Added by the Bombers for veteran depth, Taylor would play an instrumental role in helping solidify the secondary in the team's Grey Cup run.
He made his first start for the Bombers on October 5th in Saskatchewan and was a fixture for the final four regular season games and three playoff contests. Over that span, he amassed five tackles, an interception for a touchdown, and one pass knockdown. He stepped up his play even further in the playoffs, registering seven tackles, one interception and two pass knockdowns. Taylor's first experience in the CFL came with the Ottawa RedBlacks in 2016, appearing in 17 games over the '16-17 seasons. He signed with Edmonton as a free agent in 2018 and started 15 games that year.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 7, 2021
- EE Football Team Signs American Offensive Lineman Derek Dennis - EE Football Team
- Argos Re-Sign Canadian DB Arjen Colquhoun - Toronto Argonauts
- Quarterback Moore Re-Signs with Tiger-Cats - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Riders Sign DB D.Q. Thomas - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- RedBlacks Re-Sign Quarterback Dominique Davis - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Agree to Terms on a One-Year Extensions with Defensive Backs Mercy Maston and Nick Taylor - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Atypique Teams up with the Alouettes - Montreal Alouettes
- Lions Re-Sign Nationals David Mackie and Hakeem Johnson for 2021 - B.C. Lions
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Agree to Terms on One-Year Extension with Special Teams Ace Mike Miller - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Blue Bombers Stories
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Select Linebacker Les Maruo with 4th Overall Selection in Global Draft
- Blue Bombers Add Defensive Tackle to Roster
- Winnipeg Football Club Releases 2020 Financial Results
- Blue Bombers Release Donahue
- Molson Coors Beverage Company and Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce New Partnership