Wings Star Forward Bergey Selected by Boston in NLL Expansion Draft
Philadelphia Wings' forward, Jake Bergey was selected today in the National Lacrosse League Expansion Draft by the Boston Blazers. The Blazers selected a total of 12 players in the Expansion Draft, one from each NLL franchise.
"We are a bit surprised at Boston's decision to select Jake in the draft because he has yet to make any official decision on whether or not he will play in 2009," said Wings General Manager Lindsay Sanderson.
Bergey has played all of his eleven NLL seasons in Philadelphia and was part of two championship teams (1998 and 2001). He is second all-time in Wings history with 555 total points (257G, 298A). Bergey became only the second Wings player in history to record his 500th point with his six point performance in the Wings 2008 home opener versus Chicago. The Wings selected him in the fifth round of the 1998 NLL Entry Draft out of Salisbury State University. Bergey is also the son of legendary Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Bill Bergey.
The Blazers are coached by former Philadelphia Wings forward (2000 - 2003) Tom Ryan and will play their 2009 home games in the TD Banknorth Garden. A full list of Boston's draft selections can be found by logging on to www.nll.com.
Deposits are now being accepted for the Wings 2009 Season. A $50 deposit guarantees a great seat for eight exciting games of Wings lacrosse. Call 215-389-WING or visit wingslax.com for more information.
The Philadelphia Wings are owned and operated by Philadelphia Wings L.P., whose principal owners are Russ Cline, Chris Fritz and Michael French. Comcast-Spectacor serves as the marketing, sponsorship and publicity arm of the Wings.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from July 24, 2008
- Blazers Select Twelve Players in NLL Expansion Draft - Boston Blazers
- Boston selects Gallant in NLL expansion draft - NLL
- Knighthawks' Matt Lyons Taken in Expansion Draft by Boston - Rochester Knighthawks
- Minnesota Swarm Defenseman Kyle Ross Selected By Boston In NLL Expansion Draft - Minnesota Swarm
- Wings Star Forward Bergey Selected by Boston in NLL Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- Boston Blazers select Twelve players in Expansion Draft - NLL
- Jax Lose Kilby to Boston - Portland Lumberjax
- Stealth Coaching Staff - San Jose Stealth
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Wings Stories
- Wings to Re-Locate Franchise
- Wings Player Garret Thul Named to United States Men's National Lacrosse Team
- Wings Second All-Time Leading Scorer Bergey Named to NLL Hall of Fame Ballot
- Philadelphia Wings Brodie Merrill Voted Finalist for Transition Player of the Year
- Three Philadelphia Wings Players Named to Canadian National Lacrosse Team