Wildcats Battle Back, But Come up Just Short in 4-3 Loss to the Sea Dogs
The Wildcats scored three times in the third period but could not complete the comeback in a 4-3 loss to the Saint John Sea Dogs, Wednesday at Avenir Centre.
Jacob Stewart finished the night with a goal and an assist. Nick Pavan and Connor Richard also scored while Mathis Cloutier contributed two assists.
The Sea Dogs jumped out to a 2-0 lead before the game was four minutes old and added a power play marker late in the period to carry a 3-0 lead into the first intermission.
There was no further scoring until early in the third.
Stewart got Moncton on the board nearly three minutes in after driving to the net on a short breakaway and beating goalie Zachary Emond with a backhand shot under the crossbar.
Saint John restored its three-goal lead halfway through the period.
Pavan cut Moncton's deficit to 4-2 with more than five minutes left.
The rookie defenceman-turned-forward carried the puck down the right wing on a 2-on-1 and ripped a wrist shot past Emond's glove.
Moncton pulled goalie Dakota Lund-Cornish for an extra skater with under four minutes left and moments later Richard, who had come off the bench as the sixth attacker, potted the rebound of a Cloutier shot to make it a 4-3 game.
The Wildcats pulled their goaltender again late in the game, but could not square the affair.
Lund-Cornish made 29 stops for Moncton.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2021
- Wildcats Battle Back, But Come up Just Short in 4-3 Loss to the Sea Dogs - Moncton Wildcats
- Explosive First Period Lifts Sea Dogs over Wildcats 4-3 - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Moose Finally Defeat Isles, 15-Game Win Streak Comes to An End - Charlottetown Islanders
- Wildcats Top Titan 5-3 at Home - Moncton Wildcats
- Isles and Moose Back at It in Wednesday Night Tilt - Charlottetown Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Moncton Wildcats Stories
- BMO Alumni Update - April 14
- Langlois with a Four Point Night, While Filion Named First Star in Cats 6-3 Win
- Titan Add Late Goal to Win 3-2 over Your Wildcats.
- Wildcats Battle Back, But Come up Just Short in 4-3 Loss to the Sea Dogs
- Wildcats Top Titan 5-3 at Home