Wild Ending - Shuckers Walk off on Wild Pitch
BILOXI, MS - A wild pitch allowed the only run of the game to score as the Biloxi Shuckers (79-53, 38-24 2nd Half) walked off the Mississippi Braves (61-71, 28-35) 1-0 on Sunday afternoon at MGM Park. The Shuckers claimed the victory after weather on the Mississippi Coast delayed the start of the game by almost two hours.
Weston Wilson led off the ninth inning with a single and C.J. Hinojosa followed with a bunt single, putting two men on base. Joantgel Segovia then dropped a bunt up the third base line that rolled right along the chalk and came to rest in fair territory, loading up the bases with no outs for Ryan Aguilar. With the Shuckers first baseman at the plate, LHP Jordan Harrison (L, 2-4) uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Wilson to race in and score the winning run.
LHP Cameron Roegner got the start for the Shuckers and allowed just two hits over six scoreless innings. Mississippi threatened against the southpaw in the second inning when William Contreras doubled with one out and moved to third on a wild pitch, but Roegner stranded the runner 90 feet away with a strikeout and a lineout to short. Contreras reached and advanced to second on a throwing error in the fourth, but again was stranded in scoring position by the Shuckers lefty.
Biloxi notched a single in each of the first five frames but was unable to move a man around to third until the seventh. Hinojosa and Segovia both singled and were sacrificed to second and third by Aguilar. Harrison struck out Alexander Alvarez and induced a groundout from pinch-hitter Devin Hairston to preserve the shutout at the time.
RHP Anthony Bender made his Double-A debut and pitched one scoreless inning, allowing two baserunners on a pair of singles while striking out one. LHP Clayton Andrews (W, 3-0) faced just three in the eighth but ran into trouble when he walked two batters in the ninth. A double play from Alejandro Salazar ended the top of the ninth and set the stage for the Shuckers walk off.
Looking to win the series against Mississippi, the Shuckers continue their five-game tangle with the M-Braves on Monday night at MGM Park. Biloxi will send RHP Drew Rasmussen (1-3, 3.74) to the mound against Mississippi RHP Nolan Kingham (1-2, 4.15) for a 6:35 pm first pitch. It's Barks & Brews Monday presented by Raising Cane's and F.E.B. Distributing, with $3 craft beer refills at the Buena Vista Beer Garden and dogs at the ballpark. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. With the 2020 Southern League schedule announced, Shuck Nation Memberships for the 2020 season are also available by visiting the Biloxi Shuckers front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Abbott Shines as Smokies End Barons Postseason Hopes - Tennessee Smokies
- Wild Ending - Shuckers Walk off on Wild Pitch - Biloxi Shuckers
- Late Rally Falls Short as Barons Downed by Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Bullpen Shines in 1-0 Loss on Sunday - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Sweep Doubleheader - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts Take Two from Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- Pfeifer Promoted to Gwinnett, De Paula to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: August 25 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 25 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pitching Falters in 8-4 Setback - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Louisiana Knights Back in Action at MGM Park for Fall Season
- Batting Practice Experience Soon to be Available at MGM Park
- 'Schooner's Landing' Golf Experience at MGM Park Extended Through September
- 'Schooner's Landing' Golf Experience Set to Return to MGM Park
- Louisiana Knights Set to Return to MGM Park