Bullpen Shines in 1-0 Loss on Sunday
PEARL, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers (38-24, 79-53)) broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the ninth inning and walked off on a Jordan Harrison (L, 2-4) wild pitch to beat the Mississippi Braves (28-35, 61-71) on Sunday afternoon, 1-0.
The club's had to wait out a 1 hour, 45-minute rain delay before the first pitch was finally thrown at 4:20 pm. Phil Pfeifer was scheduled to make the Sunday start for Mississippi, but a promotion to Triple-A forced the bullpen into duty.
Jonathan Aro made his first start since 2017 and delivered 3.0 shutout innings on just three hits with no walks and two strikeouts on 41 pitches. Kurt Hoekstra needed 42 pitches and tossed 3.0 scoreless innings as well, striking out five and walking none.
Jordan Harrison was the third M-Braves reliever, and the southpaw worked a pair of scoreless innings before giving up the winning run in the ninth. Weston Wilson opened the ninth inning with a single and then C.J. Hinojosa and Joantgel Segovia added bunt singles to load the bases with no one out. With Ryan Aguilar at the plate, Harrison bounced a pitch in the dirt, letting Wilson score the winning run.
Neither team cashed in during scoring opportunities on Sunday. The M-Braves left seven on base and went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position while Biloxi left eight on base and finished 1-for-7.
William Contreras had a double, and Ryan Casteel smacked his 20th double of the season, making him the only player in the Southern League with 20 home runs and 20 doubles.
Game four of the five-game road series is on Monday night at MGM Park. RHP Nolan Kingham (1-2, 4.15) starts for the M-Braves against RHP Drew Rasmussen (1-3, 3.74) for Biloxi. First pitch is set for 6:35 pm with coverage beginning at 6:20 pm on 103.9 WYAB, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App. and MiLB.tv (subscription required).
The M-Braves will close out the 2019 home schedule with a five-game homestand Aug. 29-Sept. 2 at Trustmark Park against the Chattanooga Lookouts. The homestand features the final Thirsty Thursday of the season, Baseball Card Set Giveaway on Friday, Aug. 30, Post-Game Fireworks and Memphis Grizzlies Night on Saturday, Aug. 31, Mugshots FamilyFest Sunday and Photo With a Brave Day on Sunday, Sept. 1 and then a Labor Day matinee on Monday, Sept. 2 at 1:05 pm to close out the season. For tickets and more information visit mississippibraves.com.
The Mississippi Braves are the Double-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Since the inaugural 2005 season, 146 M-Braves have gone on to Major League Baseball. The M-Braves have made postseason play four times and went on to win the Southern League Championship in 2008. Stop by Trustmark Park or call 888-BRAVES4 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. For the latest news and updates, visit mississippibraves.com or connect with @mbraves on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Abbott Shines as Smokies End Barons Postseason Hopes - Tennessee Smokies
- Wild Ending - Shuckers Walk off on Wild Pitch - Biloxi Shuckers
- Late Rally Falls Short as Barons Downed by Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Bullpen Shines in 1-0 Loss on Sunday - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Sweep Doubleheader - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts Take Two from Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- Pfeifer Promoted to Gwinnett, De Paula to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: August 25 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 25 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pitching Falters in 8-4 Setback - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- M-Braves to Transform Trustmark Park into Target Golf, October 8th &15th
- M-Braves to Show Comedy Classic "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" on Sat., September 26th at Trustmark Park
- M-Braves Present Medgar & Myrlie Evers Institute with $5,000 Grant from the Atlanta Braves Foundation
- Braves to Present Check for $5,000 to the Medgar & Myrlie Evers Institute on Friday at Trustmark Park
- M-Braves Hosting Movie Night at Trustmark Park on Saturday, August 29th