Pfeifer Promoted to Gwinnett, De Paula to Mississippi
BILOXI, MS - The Atlanta Braves made the following roster moves prior to Sunday's game at Biloxi, which affected the Mississippi Braves roster. Sunday's scheduled starter LHP Phil Pfeifer has been promoted to Triple-A Gwinnett, and RHP Rafael De Paula has been transferred to Mississippi from Gwinnett.
Pfeifer, 27, is 5-8 this season with a 3.00 ERA (42 ER/126.0 IP), 39 walks and 149 strikeouts in 27 games and 18 starts between High-A Florida and Double-A Mississippi.
The Knoxville native is averaging 10.4 SO/9.0 IP this season between Mississippi and Florida. In four starts since he returned to Mississippi on Aug. 1, the Vanderbilt product has a 1.17 ERA (3 ER/23.0 IP), 29 strikeouts, six walks, .195 BAA and 0.96 WHIP.
Pfeifer has the most strikeouts of any pitcher in Minor League Baseball with 100.0 IP or less. He has logged double-digit strikeouts three times this season, including a career-high 17 strikeouts on July 18 at Palm Beach.
The left-hander was originally a third-round selection for the Dodgers in 2015 and was acquired by the Braves, along with RHP Caleb Dirks from the Dodgers in exchange for RHP Bud Norris, LF Dian Toscano, Player To Be Named Later and cash.
De Paula, 28, appeared in 33 games for Triple-A Gwinnett this season, going 1-2 with a 4.35 ERA (19 ER/29.1 IP), 45 strikeouts, 25 walks and 6-for-8 in save chances.
The Braves selected the La Victoria, DR native s from the Cincinnati Reds in the minor-league phase of the 2018 Rule 5 Draft on Dec. 13, 2018. The right-hander appeared in 42 games between Double-A Pensacola and Triple-A Louisville with the Reds and combined to go 3-4 with a 3.41 ERA (22 ER/58.0 IP) and 73 strikeouts.
The Yankees originally signed De Paula on Nov. 18, 2010. The Padres acquired him along with INF Yangervis Solarte from the Yankees in exchange for INF Chase Headley on July 2, 2014.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Abbott Shines as Smokies End Barons Postseason Hopes - Tennessee Smokies
- Wild Ending - Shuckers Walk off on Wild Pitch - Biloxi Shuckers
- Late Rally Falls Short as Barons Downed by Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Bullpen Shines in 1-0 Loss on Sunday - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Sweep Doubleheader - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts Take Two from Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- Pfeifer Promoted to Gwinnett, De Paula to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: August 25 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 25 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pitching Falters in 8-4 Setback - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Anderson, Harris Named Atlanta Braves Minor League Players of the Year
- Unroe, Kingham Named Final Farm Bureau Players of the Week
- Riley Unroe Named Southern League Player of the Week
- M-Braves Close Season with 3-2 Win over Lookouts
- Kingham Tosses Complete Game in Sunday's Win