Wichita Adds Simpson in Swap with Railroaders
ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Wichita Wingnuts have added another major piece to their lineup just prior to the American Association trade deadline, acquiring infielder Chase Simpson in a trade with the Cleburne Railroaders on Wednesday.
Simpson was acquired from Cleburne in exchange for rookie outfielder Hunter Clanin and a player to be named later. Simpson split the 2018 season between the Saltdogs and Railroaders, hitting a combined .279 with eight home runs and 31 RBI. He was traded to Cleburne on July 6 for right-handed pitcher Cortland Cox, having played 41 games for the Saltdogs. In the 26 games since joining the Railroaders, Simpson has hit .284 with seven doubles and two home runs.
A former Wichita State University product, Simpson leads the American Association with 56 walks, producing a very strong .420 on-base percentage. The 26-year old got off to a tremendous start during the 2018 season, hitting .413 through the first two weeks of the season. Simpson put together two very good series against Wichita, going 3-for-8 with six walks while with Lincoln on May 22-24, then producing six more hits in 12 at-bats with Cleburne against the Wingnuts on July 19-22.
Simpson played in Wichita for the Shockers in 2014, hitting .258 with 14 doubles, six home runs and 41 RBI as a junior transfer from the University of Oklahoma. He was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 14th round of the MLB Draft, and spent parts of four seasons in the Pirates minor league system. The switch-hitter reached Double-A Altoona in 2017, but was released and joined the independent ranks with the York Revolution of the Atlantic League. For his career, Simpson is a .243 hitter with 44 home runs and 212 runs driven in.
Clanin played in 36 games for the Wingnuts as a true rookie out of Pittsburg State University, hitting .240 with two home runs and 24 RBI. He will join the team against whom he recorded his first professional hit, singling against Cleburne righty Dylan Mouzakes on June 13.
The Wingnuts continue their series with the Dogs on Wednesday night. Right-hander Tyler Kane (5-1, 5.22) gets the start for Wichita, while Chicago will counter with righty Trevor Simms (1-0, 3.24). First pitch from Impact Field is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 1, 2018
- Foss Strong on the Hill as Saints Get Much Needed 7-5 Victory over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Snap Losing Skid - Cleburne Railroaders
- Chicago's Simms Stymies Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- 'Cats Finish 6-Day, 7-Game Texas Road Trip 6-1 with 2-1 Loss to AirHogs - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Collier Named Pitcher of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Get Gassed up for a Nutty August 3-5 Homestand - St. Paul Saints
- Dillon Thomas Named American Association Player of the Month - Texas AirHogs
- Lincoln Media Taking to Haymarket Park for Saturday Softball Challenge - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wichita Adds Simpson in Swap with Railroaders - Wichita Wingnuts
- Make It Five in a Row as RedHawks Shut out St.Paul 6-0 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.