WhiteWings win rain shortened game
Amarillo, TX - The Harlingen WhiteWings (15-26) beat the Amarillo Dillas (25-14) 6-1 tonight at the Amarillo National Bank Dilla Villa in a five-inning game that was shortened by rain.
The WhiteWings struck against Jesse Rodriguez (0-3) in the first. With one out, Terry Roblez singles, Brian Nichols walked and Argelis Nunez hit an RBI-single. Ryan Fox followed with a two-run double to make it 3-0.
The Dillas got one right back against Todd Lutz (2-1) in the bottom of the first when Jonathan Reynoso, Keith Brachold and Gary Schneidmiller hit consecutive singles to open up the inning.
In the top of the fourth, David Cardona led off with a walk, Candelario Perez singled and Bub Bergstrom reached on a bunt-single. Roblez hit into a fielder's choice on which no out was recorded to score Cardona. Nichols followed a sacrifice fly to make it 5-1.
In the fifth, Kevin Griffin reached on an error, moved to second on a Cardona double and scored on a wild pitch to make it 6-1.
The WhiteWings and Dillas play game three of this three-game series tomorrow night at 7:05. Left-hander Jorge Lugo (3-1), who pitched for Amarillo last year, will face left-hander Ronald Lowe (1-0).
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 24, 2008
- Aces overtake Colts for second place with 3-2 win - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes Blow Away Broncos Early - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Aces take sole possession of second place - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos beaten badly in loss - Laredo Broncos
- WhiteWings win rain shortened game - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Coyote Report - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.