Aces take sole possession of second place
Alexandria, La. - June 24, 2008 - Tuesday, the Alexandria Aces took over second place and are in line for a possible playoff spot as the Aces beat the San Angelo Colts for the second-straight night 3-2. The Aces took advantage of a Colts miscue to tie the game in the fifth. With one out, Selwyn Langaigne hit a fly ball to shallow left-center. After losing sight of the ball, centerfielder Tyrone Pendergrass picked up the ball and try to throw out Langiagne at first. Once Pendergrass threw it to first, Langiagne broke for second and made it safely. After Patrick O'Sullivan walked to put runners at first and second, Rafael Ozuna hit a grounder to first baseman Andres Rodriguez who threw it to second to force out O'Sullivan. With Massetti trying to cover first to complete the double play, shortstop Charlie Belew threw the ball away, allowing Langaigne to tie the game 2-2. The Aces took the lead in the sixth when Langaigne drove home Bryan Sabatella to give the Aces a 3-2 lead. Aces starter Ramon Portillo gave Alexandria its second-straight solid outing as he pitched seven innings giving up just two runs and striking out nine. The Colts threatened to tie the game in the eighth but newly acquired Ace Andre Marshall saved the day. Closer Wayne Hedden came into the game with runners on first and second with one out and the Aces leading 3-2. Jason Crosland singled to center and Rodriguez tried to score from second on the play. Marshall fielded the ball on a bounce and threw a strike to catcher Eddie Fitzpatrick to tag out Rodriguez for the final out of the eighth. Hedden pitched a scoreless ninth for his second save of the year. The Aces will finish their series with the Colts as the Aces will throw Tyler Brooks against the Colts' Frank James. Game time is 10:05 AM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 24, 2008
- Aces overtake Colts for second place with 3-2 win - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes Blow Away Broncos Early - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Aces take sole possession of second place - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos beaten badly in loss - Laredo Broncos
- WhiteWings win rain shortened game - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Coyote Report - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th