Coyotes' manager Vince Moore is known to make moves hours before game time and last night had no exceptions as newly acquired pitcher James Mondesir signed one hour before the game against the Laredo Broncos. He also pitched in the ninth inning to close the game out. It wasn't the greatest debut that Moore or Mondesir had in mind as he allowed four runs to score that shrunk an eight run lead. But the Coyotes were already far ahead for the Broncos to catch up. Moore told me before the game that he hadn't pitched to anyone in two weeks so I'm assuming he put him in to work the kinks out. None the less, Coyotes beat the fourth place Broncos and it was a much needed win as they were able to break a four-game losing streak off of Broncos' starting pitcher Santos Hernandez. The Broncos' ace leads the league in strikeouts with 61 and has a 3.29 ERA, also a league best.
But despite the big victory, two veteran pitchers were released yesterday, Bric Steed and Adam Clay. Steed was the ULB ERA champion in 06' but could not find his rhythm this year ending with a 12.38 ERA and a 0-3 record. Clay ended with a 1-3 record and a 6.62 ERA. "There is reason why Vince is the manager," Assistant general manger Omar Ortiz said. "He obviously believes the moves are in the best interest of the team and I support him all the way. We have a whole second half to look forward to and we feel we are taking the proper steps in the right direction." On a side note, Coyotes outfielder Robert Matlock has stepped it up for his new team. On June 14, Matlock was traded to the Coyotes by the Alexandria Aces for a player to be named later. Through eight games, Matlcok is batting .412 with 14 hits and four RBIs. Angelo Fermin still leads the ULB in steals with 21 closely followed by Coyotes first baseman Daryl Jones with 16.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 24, 2008
- Aces overtake Colts for second place with 3-2 win - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes Blow Away Broncos Early - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Aces take sole possession of second place - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos beaten badly in loss - Laredo Broncos
- WhiteWings win rain shortened game - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Coyote Report - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edinburg Roadrunners Stories
- Roadrunners drop heart-breaker
- Roadrunners clinch second seed, homefield advantage
- Roadrunners snap 3-game skid
- Roadrunners drop series opener
- Roadrunners take opening game from Colts